p-51d 905

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: p-51d 905

Postby davidchoate » Wed May 14, 2014 12:09 am

I need a name. C'mon help me out. I'm close to finishing. I can now get those tiny, but very strong magnets now at my LHS, and plan to incorporate them into a removable upper front fuselage section just forward of the canopy. I did this in acrylic partly to show Mark how I have been doing it so he can learn, and it does look nice. Just takes a lot of coats, and that means more weight, and that means more watts needed to fly it.But, like I said before, I just want one good flight to proof of concept my technique of RC convert.Then I'm giving it to a Lady I have been admiring for a few months now, and that's the real reason I want to give it a Real good Name. So she will feel flattered. As She knows that I'm building This P-51 for her personally. If I do this right, it may mean I will get a date. And make her fall in Love with me. I really really like her. Alot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby markm » Wed May 14, 2014 12:57 am

Well clearly you need to name it after the gal!

And nice paint job btw

Mark
markm

Postby davidchoate » Wed May 14, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks. I put the decals on and just got to ma cover for motor, and battery compartment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby markm » Wed May 14, 2014 9:20 am

Looks slick. How many coats of paint did you have to use. I had a great surprise waiting for me when I got home yesterday. A friend of mine (for no good reason other than being a rad dude) purchased a 48 color acrylic paint set and color wheel. There are still some good people left in the world, ya know!?

Anyhoo, how many coats, same with dope? For the Cessna I have started doping the tail sections. Plan for 5 coats of dope to get her super smooth and sealed. On coat 3 and she is looking really nice.

Mark
markm

Postby davidchoate » Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 pm

no more than 3 coats of thinned dope should be plenty. Now on my mustang I lost count around 8-10 coats,and now im applying the clear finish. 2 coats so far of that, but u gotta remember, you must water it down. and the color wheel is a must. and of course only use the best brushes. it does make a differince. I gotta go. will give u more tips tonorrow.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 17, 2014 11:28 pm

i thought of a name.But then Im looking on a site I joined about pinups Nose Art and Squad markings and all, because I didnt want to use a name and not represent it correct. Like "OLD CROW" being very popular.even the foam ones are correct down to the tail numbers. So i'm looking at the decals,on my Guillows and they dont look like ww2. USAF, and the red stripe on the star ribbon. I know its just a model, but this is the kind of stuff MR> Duckett used to call me on. if i were to use an improper nose art for a particular plane that may have not even been in ww2, but Korea, which I dont even know if they had nose art, he would be sure to correct the problem. Or bring attn to it. Like was stated before. these models were modern fighters at the time of original design,, and espescially on German aircfaft are not to an exact replica,but now its History, and putting the wrong numbers on a plane and saying it was something its not, is more noticed.im totallly bored, But no one talks or even posts builds alot, and I knw theyre sellin kits, cause at theLHS the Guillows rack gets sold out monthly.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Fri May 23, 2014 11:06 am

constructing a removable access panel for batt and Rx.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Fri May 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Your model looks very nice... I miss having Double D here also. I was trying to build my models like Dave, when Dave told me... "Mitch, my airplanes don't fly, you are doing fine."

I say do what you like, and build what you like. I give some of my planes names, since that is what Pilot's did. I call it fictional history. I do not mean to disrespect or miss represent anything... I am living history though my models. But my main interest is to get these things to fly at a contest level.

I say have fun with what you build... and I agree that there are more people building because I see VERY NICE models every month, but few people are here. But if they have a question that is what we are here for.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Fri May 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Great looking model.

since I don't know very much about RC models I tend not to comment very much on them.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 24, 2014 10:50 am

the hatch was easier to constuct than I thought, and fits nicely. I intend to tether it because IF this thing flies, this is my first use of magnets and I don't know if they will hold. My worst fear is that its gonna roll. Someone said something about a football spiralling through the air, and that image seems to be stuck in my head. But instead of a football it's my little P-51.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 31, 2014 5:26 am

i got a 2300kv tiny outrunner from a RTF plane of the same weight as my p-51. I chose it because it has the thrust angles built in, and also they are easily adjustable. I have a sense that the right thrust angles will decide if it flies or not.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:13 am

Just waiting on a couple of parts, and then its time for the moment of truth.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:19 am

My one regret on this build besides the slashing of my thumb, and the dropping a battery charger on the fuselage, and needing to reconstruct most of it; Is that I used silkspan as covering. I do not like the way it shrinks after a few weeks letting every rib and former poke through. Also I notice that it splits rather easily. I will from now on use tissue, or that nylon covering material.I had a very nice acrylic paint job going if not for the silk. Just look at the earlier pics in this thread, and then the more recent, and you will see the difference im talking about.
davidchoate

Postby comanche163 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Looks great so far. Hope your hand is better. That looked like a lot of blood.

Rob
comanche163

Postby davidchoate » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Its healed up good. I cant wait to finish it. My pilot skills are improved rnough that I think I can handle a conversion now.
davidchoate

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions