Stearman build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Stearman build

Postby davidchoate » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:27 pm

I know It aint a Guillow, but this is the plane I'm going to practice on before I fly the PT-17.Its more like a Glider. They used to remove the engines, tow thm as gliders, and then use them for glider pilot trainer. Originall a Germman design from a co. called Klem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby David Lewis » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Bill Gaylord wrote: "Another advantage of ply is that a nick or surface issue does not tend to cause stress concentration failures as it would with balsa, where the grain runs in one direction. If you took a 1/4" x 1/16" balsa strut and nicked it 1/16" deep with a knife, I would be really concerned about it failing in that area. With ply, it would be much less of a concern."

Points well taken. Have you tried spruce for struts? That has worked well for me on larger models. Even though strength-to-weight ratio is lower than balsa, spruce is better at withstanding concentrated loads at the attachment points.

One way to find correct CG location is to perform a dive test. Trim the airplane for level flight. Put it into a dive then gently let elevator stick return to neutral. If the nose tucks under, move the CG forward. If the nose pitches up quickly, move the CG back. If the nose pitches up gradually, CG location is probably about right.
David Lewis

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:45 am

Spruce works well also, with a good grade of bass wood being similar. I generally have functional rigging, where the ply takes well to having holes drilled without splitting, although spruce can be carefully drilled also. Looking at the plan again last night, I'm almost certain that I used the plan CG, which worked well.

Love the Klemm
Bill Gaylord

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:46 am

Spruce works well also, with a good grade of bass wood being similar. I generally have functional rigging, where the ply takes well to having holes drilled without splitting, although spruce can be carefully drilled also. Looking at the plan again last night, I'm almost certain that I used the plan CG, which worked well.

Love the Klemm and your subject there. I almost got started on the L25 a number of times. One of these days.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:05 pm

I know I'm off track, butt Btitain bought the plans from Klemm. It,s just a different tail in all honesty. I am really starting to enjoy Gliders. One reason I wanted the Guillows Rc Aeronca Plans from the 1980's, but cant find them. If you know where I can get the plans, or a kit. Let Me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Was going to do a Trojan, but decided to work on The Stearman. Thank God I tested the aileron servo over, and over, over. Like I said, I never used this setup before, and the rightside solder to the aileron linkage failed. Good thing it didnt happen in flight. So I just have to cut away the tissue, and solder it up. Then I will start on the fuselage.Oh, I bought a AS3x nano Spectrum Rx to use on a future project. It has 6 channels, and can do alot of functions. It weighs 2 grams. I really want to fly this Stearman, and I got a whole kit to make another. Less the plastics, It's from last year when we got the laser kits.
davidchoate

Postby gordonfan24 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:51 am

What a great thread! As a novice, I can't thank you (everyone) enough for taking the time and effort to share your experiences and knowledge with us. In only a couple days of being on the forum as a member, I've read so much I'm actually having a hard time digesting all the info. Thanks again for sharing and nice work!
"If you enjoy what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life."
gordonfan24

Previous

Return to General Building Questions