Free Flight Jet models.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Free Flight Jet models.

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:42 pm

I came across a picture of an old Air Hogs F 14 Tomcat. They used two electric motors spinning a propeller on each wing. I am going to work with this design on the Guillow's F 14. Image
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:16 pm

I will be watching Widdog. You always boldly go where no man has gone that much before; "The Experimental Stage". I'm more than cirious what happens.
davidchoate

Postby BillParker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31 pm

I bet it works!
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:12 am

I may have to change the Topic to converting a Guillow's F 14 to an Air Hogs. I always though of Air Hogs as a toy plane. I saw this video and it really changed my mind. http://youtu.be/lbzOz9k1Vfs. I have to admit I have seen some truly amazing conversion's Guillow's to RC on this forum. The video probably does not impress the RC people a whole lot. However, to a FF person it seems like a good deal. I think it's a "Tweener" some place between FF and RC.
WIDDOG

Postby davidchoate » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Is that thing Rc, and how does the motor work. Is it charged with compressed air; like a Co2 motor? It flew nice for a "toy". Sorry, I see the electric motors now. I think U can do it. I think u can make a Guillows Jet inti a micro ducted fan,; I have seen them (micro jets) so I know the little fans are avaialable. I think you may want to enlarge the pan slightly to accomadate the em.. Just My opinion.
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks David for the input.

I hope this doesn't show my age but I remember when Air Hogs first came out. They where in fact FF planes that flew on compressed air. I have one of the originals. It came with a FF plane and a air pump. The problem is that the air tank is so too big to fit inside a Guillow's. I lost interest in it and put it into deep storage.

It's been about 7 years since Air Hogs has been making their 2 ch RC model Jets. Another thing that kind of slipped by me was the fact that they where using EPP Foam. At first 2 ch models (Estes) where made out of light weight Styrofoam. The problem with Styrofoam is that it does not last very long. These Air Hogs with EPP Foam can really stand up to many crashes. Also if it does break not likely it can usually be glued back together. I bought I older Air Hogs Aero Ace Jet from Ebay with the hopes of smashing it up and taking it apart and studying the insides. I have not been able to wreck it. I have crashed it many times with no luck breaking this RC toy Jet.

If I remember correctly Guillow's made a very cool 2 ch A 10 Warthog. I never had one but I believe it was made from Styrofoam. I could be totally wrong about that. However my point is that they came along way with EPP foam these days. I think I got a bad first impression of those early 2 ch RC models.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Well new experiment time. Going to test this Wood and Tissue model Jet out with the twin electric motor set up.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:05 am

Brief Test Flight with electric timer. http://youtu.be/tM4xpwSiJCc
WIDDOG

Postby 1778ppr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:01 pm

Maybe you have already seen this, but CO2 or cold power rocket engines may work for your jets. I would assume a CO2 pellet gun cartridge run through some type of orifice might reduce and lengthen the thrust pulse. Here’s a link: http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/moto ... 69-aam.htm
1778ppr

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:02 am

Thanks for posting 1778prr

I like your suggestion about using Co2. I don't have a Co2 motor. I would really like to see them make a come back. I don't think they will though. Even though I'm not very good at it I think electric is the future of this hobby. I have been working on getter better with my Electric's. To be honest I have come a long way with the basics i.e. Soldering.

I actually though I was getting somewhere with electric than I saw this RC model airplane at http://www.aliexpress.com. This is actually a very small 4 ch Jet looking plane. If you watch the video you will see it flying in a very small field. I don't know a whole lot about the model. I know that the controller comes in Mode l. That's correct Mode 1.

I don't know very much about RC either. However, I do have a 4 ch Foamie. I have to go a town over to the large RC Flying Field to fly it though. Even though this model has Aileron fans I still like it. In other words it's not a Quadcopter disguised as a Jet plane.

BTW here is video of the model in action. http://youtu.be/IyRDIUPoFOQ

I ordered one and will post hopefully with video of me flying it. What does all this have to do with Guillow's? IMHO maybe Guillow's would consider selling this kit in the future.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:01 am

Well I got my F 35. It arrived in good condition. A mayor problem is the Controller is very low quality. Mine did not work. I had to take it apart and remove some flashing form the controller stick. I managed to get it to work. However, I was very disappointed with the overall performance of this kit. The plane seems to be too heavy/underpowered. I would read the reviews before I purchased another one of these kits.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 pm

I'd think about going the micro Spektrum route. They have a small, dual brushed controller that will work on 2s with a diode for BEC voltage drop. The added power with something like 2 IPS direct drive motors on 2s is really nice, unless you build ultra light, which I don't. :D With 2 of those motors on 2s with GWS 3020 props, you would have a screamer. The only brushed jet I had success with uses twin 50mm ducted fans on 3s, with the GWS 12V IPS motors. That stresses the hell out of them :shock: and it still wouldn't fly without a higher end lipo, back in it's day. With the newer, high power 30mm brushless fans, a few folks have converted the small Guillows jets to actual EDF jets. One of these days I may try one.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:47 am

Wow great post Bill!

I really like RC: Its just the matter that I'm no dang good at it. I decided to go back to the drawling board on this whole project about trying to fly a Guillow's F 14 Tomcat.

I decided to go all the way back to RPFFJM (Rubber Powered Free Flight Jet Models). Unfortunately Guillow's does not make a RPFFJM. I however did find a kit of a RPFFJM.

http://hjlmodels.com/nc101-f7u-cut1017.html .

This is a very nice kit. With features like Laser Cut parts. Good wood and tissue, The Decals are top shelf. The best thing IMHO are the plans sheet and building notes. I feel strongly that without this kit this thread would have been over. I decided the kit was so good that I had to mention it here.

A7U-1 Cutlass No Cal Navy Jet Fighter. Howard Littman Model Aircraft. http://hjlmodels.com/nc101-f7u-cut1017.html
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:02 pm

WIDDOG wrote:Wow great post Bill!

I really like RC: Its just the matter that I'm no dang good at it. I decided to go back to the drawling board on this whole project about trying to fly a Guillow's F 14 Tomcat.

It certainly didn't come together for me in a day, that's for sure. :shock: The past 3 days I maidened 3 models, one per day, and all flew well. I'll call that a really good streak, since it doesn't always go like that. Certainly didn't in the beginning. I remember my first Guillows FW190 that I tried to fly with rud/elev. Flew right back at me like a boomerang, and almost hit me! :D

Speaking of small balsa jets, there's a few from this company called Today's Hobbies. I keep seeing them pop up on Ebay, and am really tempted to try one of them. They're a bit larger than the Guillows jets. Here's their F14: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guillows-Sterli ... 1c466f5179
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Even though I'm a novice beginner a real noob to RC I must say it's definitely cool to have the advanced skill level modelers giving advice. Honestly I thought RC just came naturally to some people. My nephew for example is home on leave from the Navy's Aviation School. He makes it sound so easy.

Anyway back to FF and the Flying the Guillow's F 14 Tomcat. It is very interesting to hear that the RC modelers are flying these display only kits. This information has really motivated me my on my present build. I am really learning a lot from this F7U-1 kit, http://hjlmodels.com/nc101-f7u-cut1017.html . This kit is designed as a Rubber Powered FF Jet. The plans sheet and building notes are incredible.

Here's the part I've kind of been holding back. I also have an old copy of Flying Models Magazine May 1991. It features a very good article on FF Rubber Ducted Fans. I am learning so much from the F7U and the article that this Thread may actually pop up on the Guillow's radar as something of interest.
WIDDOG

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions