Free Flight Jet models.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Free Flight Jet models.

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:41 pm

I have finished my F7U Cutlass today. I admit that I learned a lot from that build. I look forward to flying the model soon. I did so well with the F7U that I decided to revisit my Guillow's F 14 Tomcat.
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Hey DOG...

If you really need to build a flying jet, easybuiltmodels offers about 10 jet model kits. These are all designed to fly. Another source of flying jet models is Areo Graphics, and Shorty's Basement carries those... there are about 6 more Jet Models.

All of these model kits are build up and not profile. Some may be designed to fly with Raipier motors which like Cox engines are no longer in production. :x

Mitch... I have a few, and plan to fly as catapult glider or rubber power. Keep Building... and stay happy! :D
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Mitch, As always good advice.

I liked that the F7U Cutlass was a Pusher Prop design. The instruction sheet was very detailed and really taught me a lot about Pusher Props. If Rapier motors ever are produced again trust me I'll be the first in line.

The Guillow's F 14 always seems to make me wonder. I have built it a couple of times. With the new battery technology it seems like it should be a perfect candidate for EDF FF or a Pusher Prop design.

In order to save on my F 14 building costs I am trying to build Kit 1402 F 14 as a Peanut sized model. I even managed to build a set of Peanut sized wings already. Image

Anyway thanks for posting I'm open to any idea's about Free Flight Jet Models.
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Hey DOG...

If you really need to build a flying jet, easybuiltmodels offers about 10 jet model kits. These are all designed to fly. Another source of flying jet models is Areo Graphics, and Shorty's Basement carries those... there are about 6 more Jet Models.

All of these model kits are build up and not profile. Some may be designed to fly with Raipier motors which like Cox engines are no longer in production. :x

Mitch... I have a few, and plan to fly as catapult glider or rubber power. Keep Building... and stay happy! :D
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:02 am

It defiantly is tedious work but I was able to get one of the more intricate parts cut and notched out ok. Remember it's reduced to a Peanut Sized model.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:42 am

I managed to get the fuselage rough framed. Image
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:01 pm

I took a picture comparing my build to a Air Hogs F 14. BTW the Air Hogs F 14 is out of production.
WIDDOG

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:49 pm

WIDDOG wrote:I took a picture comparing my build to a Air Hogs F 14. BTW the Air Hogs F 14 is out of production.

It's interesting that the Air Hogs designers while making a model of approximately the same size, increased the wing and elevator over scale for better flying, but they still printed the scale size wing and elevator on the model.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby davidchoate » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:42 am

I can see you had to notch alot of stringers with barely any space between. are you going to fly it?
davidchoate

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:35 am

davidchoate wrote:I can see you had to notch alot of stringers with barely any space between. are you going to fly it?

Good call David about the stringers. I would have liked to use 1/20" stringers but I am getting low on those. True I am using the more popular 1/16 stringers. I am going to attempt to test fly/glide the model. Even if the model turns out to be way to heavy I will still try and fly it.
WIDDOG

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:57 pm

WIDDOG wrote:
davidchoate wrote:I can see you had to notch alot of stringers with barely any space between. are you going to fly it?

Good call David about the stringers. I would have liked to use 1/20" stringers but I am getting low on those. True I am using the more popular 1/16 stringers. I am going to attempt to test fly/glide the model. Even if the model turns out to be way to heavy I will still try and fly it.

Keith,

You need to watch your wing loading when you design. The Cutlass has 80 square inches of wing area. Weigh it. Calculate the wing area of this model and weigh it when you are finished. There will be a definite difference in flight performance. The F-14 can work this small but you are going to have to keep it very light.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:12 pm

One of the concepts I can "Borrow" from my F7U Cutllass build. Is not the wings but I have been thinking a lot about the motor stick. To be honest the F7U was my first successful motor sick / pusher propeller kit. While watching my F7U flying I had remembered that back in the day they used Tractor motor stick and propeller units to fly models. I am thinking about trying this old idea out on my jet model.

WIDDOG

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:34 pm

WIDDOG wrote:One of the concepts I can "Borrow" from my F7U Cutllass build. Is not the wings but I have been thinking a lot about the motor stick. To be honest the F7U was my first successful motor sick / pusher propeller kit. While watching my F7U flying I had remembered that back in the day they used Tractor motor stick and propeller units to fly models. I am thinking about trying this old idea out on my jet model.

Keith,

If you are going to use a pusher motor stick I need to warn you about something. Tractor motor sticks have a propeller in front to lessen the impact if it hits someone. Unless it has a blunt nose covering the front end of the motor stick, like the Cutlass, a pusher motor stick is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen. I made another sport design, with an exposed motor stick, based on the aerodynamics of the Cutlass, which flew quite successfully, but a couple of test flights made me realize that it had the safety problems of a lawn dart. If you do use a motor stick, make sure that it is not sticking out the front end as in your photo.

Motor sticks, on full bodied models, were a very common feature of 1930's designs. If the model is relatively small, It allows you to make a much lighter model than if the tension of the rubber is only resisted by the fuselage shell. There is a size trade-off at some point where the motor stick becomes too heavy or unwieldy and you are just better off stressing the structure itself. Also, be aware that if you decide to make something for FAC competition motor sticks are only allowed for No-Cals and other specific stick model classes.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:25 pm

Thanks Howard great advice as always.

I was thinking something like this for the tractor aircraft. Image. Maybe it would be possible to hook the Guillow's Jet on top of an aircraft similar to this.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:25 pm

I found a youtube of the Stick P 38/how to make it. I thought since I mentioned it I would share the video

http://youtu.be/Om5MF0ZbujE
WIDDOG

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions