Free Flight Jet models.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Free Flight Jet models.

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:07 pm

Here is a pic of my Guillow's Stick P 38 with my F 14 on top of it.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:07 pm

I did get some video of the Guillow's Stick P 38 flying. The experience snapped me back into rubber band powered models. Now I built the Stick P 38 stock from the kits.
I think if I messed around with the propellers and rubber motor I could get better flights. The experience left me seriously thinking about the real Guillow's P 38 Lighting 40 inch wing span kit number 2001.
http://youtu.be/2MVNoBJTrSA
WIDDOG

Postby Mitch » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Ouch! You need to stay away from the fence in your test flights. Looks like there is more grass on the other side of the fence.

I have the P-38 and plan to build for rubber flight. Don't hold your breath on that. First I need to finish at least SOME of the projects around here.

Plan to gain some experience before the P-38...

1. Finish my latest 400 series planes and see how they fly. Near completion are the Me-109 and 2 Zeros.
2. See how my 1000 series fly under rubber power. Near completion are the Hellcat and Stuka.
3. Build a twin engine Me-109Z twin engine prototype. 2 fuselages are in the workshop. This is a kitbash from Guillow parts.

Then...and only then. Plan to build the Guillows P-38 for rubber power.

Mitch

PS I still have a few jets models that need to be finished.
Mitch

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Mitch wrote:Ouch! You need to stay away from the fence in your test flights. Looks like there is more grass on the other side of the fence..

LOL good point Mitch.

I am a fan of yours and all the other Build Threads on this Forum. I also am a member of the Facebook Group World Of Free Flight. I told the group all about the Guillow's Stick P 38 and said I would get some video. I figured that since it's Guillow's I mine as well post it here.

I decided to take a short break from jets. I will be working on a Guillow's Cessna 180 reduced to a Peanut Sized model.
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:15 pm

Mitch wrote:Ouch! You need to stay away from the fence in your test flights. Looks like there is more grass on the other side of the fence.

I have the P-38 and plan to build for rubber flight. Don't hold your breath on that. First I need to finish at least SOME of the projects around here.

Plan to gain some experience before the P-38...

1. Finish my latest 400 series planes and see how they fly. Near completion are the Me-109 and 2 Zeros.
2. See how my 1000 series fly under rubber power. Near completion are the Hellcat and Stuka.
3. Build a twin engine Me-109Z twin engine prototype. 2 fuselages are in the workshop. This is a kitbash from Guillow parts.

Then...and only then. Plan to build the Guillows P-38 for rubber power.

Mitch

PS I still have a few jets models that need to be finished.

There's a guy who flew the 1000 series P47 on YouTube. Definitely looked like it had potential. The P38 is probably a good candidate with the high aspect ratio wing. I was really impressed with how efficient the DC3 is. At 19+oz, it flies lighter as an r/c model than the 400 series warbirds do at 12-1/2oz. I have a P38 kit that was given to me sitting around here, if I ever get around to it.

I love watching the giant scale rubber powered planes. I watched this one last night, which is really impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-gwO-uqgvY
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:33 am

I decided to go back to jets again. This is a jet that I ordered from Aliexpress.com. I took a pic with my reduced Guillow's F 14. Anyway the jet model from Aliexpress.com did not fly so well. I have since fooled around with the RC controller and now it flies well. BTW it only comes in Mode 1. I had to practice with my Clear View flight simulator to get used to Mode 1. The problem I have is now I like Mode 1 better than Mode 2. Long story short in my earlier post where I said this kit was crap I was wrong it is actually a very nice model.

Anyway I also decided to finish my reduced F 14. I will try the model out on some glide tests when it is finished.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Due to the F 35 models controller being cheap and not having proper trim adjustment; I find it difficult to hand launch the model. Although my model did not come with landing gear, it did have landing gear mounts. I decided to make some landing gear for the model. I will test it out the next time we have some decent flying weather.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 am

Although this post is a bit off topic. I decided it was ok; It should at least move the Big Board. Anyway I have read on this forum about a RC kit called the Champ. I wanted to post a RC model made by my favorite company. The companies name is WL Toys. Their products can be order online from Banggood.com. Anyway I bought one of the RC planes. It's a 4 ch SU 25. I bought the 45 dollar one and used the transmitter that came with my Quadcopter . It flies great and when it gets smashed up I think the innards would work on a 900 series kit.

WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:04 pm

I got some flying in today. It was a nice day a bit windy but still ok for flying. I decided that there was potential in the reduced Cessna 150 to try it again. I also found out the Wl Toys 4 ch Su 25 does fly nice but as a beginner to RC probably not meant for beginners. On the plus side I found out that the Wen Sheng F 35 4 ch is great for beginners. I crashed many times and never damaged the model at all. I at first could not get the model to fly very well. I ended up adding 2.3 grams of weight to the nose and the model flew great. BTW I also removed the landing gear and went back to hand launching the model.

A potential deal breaker with the F 35 is the fact that the controller has the ailerons and rubber on the wrong sticks. This really makes it hard to fly. I think the problem with the controller "Mode ? has something to do with RC helicopters. Anyway for what's its worth Aliexpress.com now advertises the model as Mode 2. Pictured with the model is a very nice looking controller.

http://youtu.be/njNXjeuY_xg
WIDDOG

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:35 pm

All you needed was a little more snow and you could have flown them on skis. Rise Off Snow? :wink:

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:30 am

LOL snow.

I just read on aliexpress.com that the 4 ch F 35 was no longer available. I'm wondering if they sold out and will restock or did Wen Sheng stop making them. I sent off a inquiry to Wen Sheng to see if I can get some more information on the subject. BTW the F 16 version is still very much for sale on Ailexpress.com.

Here is some vid of the real F 35 http://youtu.be/i7s59qe5mPE
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:22 am

Ok the F 35 4ch Epp foam model can be ordered at http://www.aliexpress.com/item/f35-4cha ... 66875.html
WIDDOG

Postby Chris A. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Before I learned that Jetex and Rapier motors were no longer available, I bought two jet kits from the Vintage Model Works in Bakewell, England. These are replicas of the SKYLEADA kits of the De Havilland "Comet" early jetliner and the Mig 21. Both kits are laser cut on contest balsa with exquisite, detailed plans. However the fuselage in both is hollowed out at the bottom for the aluminum lined craft paper trough. The kits are designed for use of the Jetex 100. I had one of these way back and it had a plug that allowed one pellet or two pellet long flights if you took out the plug. Not only is the fuel unavailable, but the Jetex motors had a special thin ignition fuse that also is unavailable. The "Comet" is good sized with about a 30" wingspan. Very light construction. The Mig 21 with a Jetex 100 would probably be a better flier as a catapult model.
Chris A.

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Chris thanks for posting.

Any chance you still have a picture of the jets? One problem I noticed with tree stump remover and sugar formulas was the huge smoke trails. The park officials told me to stop with the solid fuels and not in a nice way. I have to admit it made a lot of smoke.

BTW I was able to find another video on the Epp Foam 4 ch RC. http://youtu.be/ss2OyDMa60Y

Although my kit has not arrived yet. I think it will be a super cool kit. I admit that I'm a Noob to RC especially the flying part. Even though the 4 ch F 35's ailerons and rudder are crossed over to the wrong control sticks; I am actually to the point where i'm flying a 4 ch rc. Another great selling point is that they are very Crash Resistant. I have made some full power dives nose first into the ground with no damage! I think I notice on the F 16 version the model having much more dihedral than the F 35. The model, in the video, looks very stable.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:42 am

I have had this old model in storage for a long time. I think the model was made back in the 90's. Anyway it's in mint condition. Even the ole nickel battery charges up. The reason why I never flew it was because it's made out of Styrofoam ( the cheap kind). Also it is a cheap 2 ch radio system. Probably sooner than later with a cheap 2 ch radio the model will nose dive into a sever crash and total the model. My question is should I just put the model back into deep storage or should I upgrade it to a 4 ch system? I think it is about the size of a Guillow's F 14. I think a lot could be learned. BTW I have a very nice 2 ch Air Hogs F 14; I'm good with that for 2 ch.

WIDDOG

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions