Building/Flying Kit 509 TBF Avenger

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Building/Flying Kit 509 TBF Avenger

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:29 am

With the exception of two flights, my Avenger is being very difficult to trim. What gets me is not all the times it crashes, it is a very strong kit and crash resistant. It's the two times it flew good that is bother me the most. WHY ? did it fly good twice. Anyway I'm thinking the variable is the rubber motor. Next up will be 1/16 inch thick thread rubber in loops.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:06 pm

The 1/16 inch thick rubber appeared to really help. Unfortunately the model hits a tree in this video but it looks like it would have flown well. Anyway good enough that I will take the model to a larger field the next chance I get. It's a bit of a drive to the larger field but what the heck.

http://youtu.be/-d3M14Wr4NY
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 am

I was able to capture a decent flight on video. Now that I have a base "Set Up" I can work on maybe getting it to fly a bit better. !/16 inch thick rubber x 4 loops or 8 strands. x 2 length. 6 inch PP prop

http://youtu.be/aUMBwxJsBCo
WIDDOG

Postby Wildpig » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:41 am

Nice flight! :D
Wildpig

Postby stx44 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:35 am

So I just completed my Avenger this afternoon (havent got a photo loaded yet).

I really enjoyed the build- its the first 500 series Ive done. Couple of things did suprise me though:

The rear motor peg- built per instructions, it buts up hard against a solid former, so its nigh on impossible to get the rubber round it (will have to consider moving it forward and sacrificing my fuselage markings)

The nose cone is an interesting mount- I built a pair of discs inside and connected them with a "barrel" made of strip wood to provide a more solid mount. There are magnets to hold it to the fuselage. Stil strikes me as a bit, umm dodgy. Next build I will consider creating my own keel and former and building solid all the way forward.

Weight-it ran to 34g (on my inexact scales) with rubber but unbalanced. Balanced it rang to 43 g. Thats a lot more than the 900s Ive built which are the same span (they ran to 26 - 35 g balanced).

So now I just have to wait for this darn cyclone to pass so I can go test fly....
stx44

Previous

Return to General Building Questions