Stearman RC

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Stearman RC

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:27 am

I figured if I post this build, I may finally get a bit of motivation to finish it. It's easy to let things sit at that exciting covering stage. Used HS55 since I had them, but would have liked to go a bit smaller. Plane weighs 14.5oz with all gear and batt, less covering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Re: Stearman RC

Postby rayd » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Hey Bill..I got one of those this past Christmas, my favorite biplane, but I just keep procrastinating about starting. I'd like to work R/C into it, but so many variables. Short story long, it still sits in closet, waiting....look, you've a good jump on the thing, and while the weather is still decent, hope to see you finish and fly that bird. Me, guess I'm still waiting for my order of Magic Dust. (I'm also still waiting for improvements before I get color TV.) Seriously though, from your pix, things are lookin' good. To me, those PT 17s had a great classic appearance, a standard of sorts. Sadly, mine rests in a closet...yours is near completion.

There's still nice weather left. Oh! I just received word of another delay of "Magic Dust"...(yeah, in my dreams; I think I've been scammed : ) Listen, your third pix looks like ship is not far from completion. Looks good and I salute you. It's not one of the easier ones to work on, and to add electronics yet. Oh! what? Magic Dust now out of stock? Oh well, c'mon Bill, do it up, finish it up and fly it. You can. You've more than adequate skills.
rayd

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks Ray. The good thing is that biplanes are so forgiving, so this won't be one of those planes that I'm terrified to fly. :D With some planes I have to wait months to brave a maiden, until I forget about all the work put into the plane. I've had serious issues with procrastinating this build, since I always wanted a Stearman but tend to get motivated on the really unique subjects. It's close enough now that I really do need to finish it and fly it in good weather.

I think this should be an excellent rc subject with the relatively long nose. The Camel and DR1 are decent flyers, but I had to really cram everything up front, as well as adding lead to balance. Even when balanced, the short coupled subjects like the Camel and DR1 are a bit less relaxing to fly. There's a few of these on YouTube that fly really well. The cowl on this plane allows you to mount an outrunner in the forward portion of the radial, which helps even further with balance. I would never have been able to get away with the added tail weight of airfoiled tail feathers and other fuse details in the aft fuse area with the Camel or DR1.
Bill Gaylord

Postby SpiceMan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:21 am

[quote="Bill Gaylord"]... With some planes I have to wait months to brave a maiden, until I forget about all the work put into the plane...

Hi Bill. I can relate to what you say about waiting to do the maiden. I built this Dumas Stinson Voyger last year. Worked on it from Oct. to Dec. ( off & on ), and it was a bit of work, since it was my first plane using MicroLite for the covering.
She's a 40 inch wingspan 3 channel bird, constructed mostly of various sizes of "sticks", combined with very nicely done Laser Cut wing ribs. Flying weight is all of 9.3 oz.
I've flown here once so far, because the motor burned out in-flight ... but that's another story. :lol:

IMG_0612 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SpiceMan

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:55 am

One of these days this project will be finished. Not much to go, other than assembly, rigging, and some details. The yellow Coverite Microlite covered parts have been painted with a light coat of TopFlite yellow spray, to reduce transparency and gloss a bit. The fuse and other blue parts will get a coat of Model Masters Blue Angel Blue, to match all the parts as well as reducing the gloss appearance a bit.

The paper template shown for single sheet fuse covering, which eliminates an ugly seam along the rear fuse top. The rear fuse is covered first, next the front sides, and finally a slit is cut along the top center, which has an overlapped seam along the front fuse and cocpit top. This works well for planes with large cocpit openings, as covering slop can be taken up there, after cutting a seam for the top of the cocpit openings and fuse front top area.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:24 am

my hobby store has a stearman kit on their shelf. i've been thinking about it for my next project. now that i have your experience to guide me, i'm gonna buy it. thanks for posting your build.
davidchoate

Postby mustangman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Bill did you ever fly your stearman? Very nice build I also have one that was built already for control line but has fallen in to despair as i had moved several times.I might make it into a electric rc prodject.Mark
mustangman

Postby Trackrat1833 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:28 am

So Bill, have you maddened her yet? You have really inspired me to order one and attempt the same project. Being a retired Marine I really love Davids paint scheme, I have scoured the internet for history pictures and drawings with no luck. I have evan visited the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, no luck. I seem to recall that there may be a Stearman hanging in the Marine Museum in Virginia. I am thinking about Ordering the FMS Stearman from Motion RC just because I love the traditional Army Air Corps Yellow and Blue plus foam is a little more durable and easy to repair, but Finishing this kit in RC forum with the Marine markings would be a great companion!

Hoping you post some more pictures Bill!

Erik
Trackrat1833

Postby davidchoate » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:56 pm

I have my Stearman all framed out, hinged, and linkages hooked up. one of these days I,ll cover and assemble it. I,m going to use a eflite 350 motor. you think It,s strong enough for the plane?
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun May 25, 2014 12:06 am

We'll get to flying this soon Mustangman and Trackrat! BTW I really like David's scheme too.

davidchoate wrote:I have my Stearman all framed out, hinged, and linkages hooked up. one of these days I,ll cover and assemble it. I,m going to use a eflite 350 motor. you think It,s strong enough for the plane?

I guess a bit late, lol. I think what I used was about around the size and weight of an Eflite 370 outrunner. With all the gear forward, it balanced perfectly. BTW I saw your Stearman project and it's coming along beautifully.

Finally finished my Stearman!
I'm really optimistic about flying this plane, with an AUW of 12.5oz with Gens Ace 3s-450 lipo. The batt is around the size of the older yellow label 3s-900 TP, so the 450mah label is a bit misleading. I'm still trying to figure out how this plane came out so light, or at least light for me. Placing gear forward, and using lightly painted over Coverite Microlite covering on the tail, as well as Parklite on the fuse, with only a light coat of more correct color and lower gloss paint has paid off. This one balances perfectly with no added ballast, and the CG is quite forward also on this biplane.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 31, 2014 5:01 am

THats awesone. Thanks for posting it. I will use it as a guide to pick my radio and motor setup. I was thinking of using an eflite 350, but will probably do the 370 now. thanks.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat May 31, 2014 10:53 pm

You said the guywires are functional? Does that mean they are required?
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:38 pm

davidchoate wrote:You said the guywires are functional? Does that mean they are required?
The functional flying wires make the wing structure much stronger, so the plane can take more abuse. Definitely worth adding, with solid attachment points. I wouldn't even think of flying one of these without the added rigidity, since I'd probably kill it on a slightly rough landing, or ditching in tall weeds as I just did today. :D

Finally flew this plane today, and it flies well. Definitely a kit worth building. Nice rolls and loops, and seems much more stable doing them at near full or full throttle. The plane is responsive with the high aileron throws I have set, and didn't have the climbing issues I've had with other bipes. I only needed a small amount of down trim at higher throttle levels, which could be cured with a hair more of down thrust or mixing, but I'm happy with the way it flies now. I'll have to get some video with my flying buddy soon.

As for motors David, the Eflite 370 should be perfect. Probably about equivalent to what I have now. The plane will almost hold a vertical climb.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks for this build. I am doing mine next. After Im Gone with my Edge and P-51,and by the way, my circuitvboard burnt out today on my p-51. Never again wik\l mI convert a micro.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:11 pm

gET iT mITCH thE wITCH. lol
davidchoate

Next

Return to General Building Questions