french newbie in a beaver !

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: french newbie in a beaver !

Postby xbarrioz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:00 pm

hello everybody
happy new year to all of you ! :wink:
thanks for all your kind advices. Sorry not to have answered you immediatly.
Since august, I was too nervous to do bad on this plane, that I've tried to build simple planes from plans, to try some techniques and improve in that nice hobby.
I've made some "exercises" on covering with wet silkspan, and it come far better !
so I'm progressing on the fuselage of my Beaver, piece by piece. (still have a wrinkle on the underside centerpiece, nobody's perfect...)
see you soon

xbarrioz

Postby davidchoate » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:56 pm

You're plane is beautiful. You sure its you're first? seriously, I'm Impressed. Any times on your flights?
davidchoate

Postby xbarrioz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 pm

davidchoate wrote:You're plane is beautiful. You sure its you're first? seriously, I'm Impressed. Any times on your flights?

tahnk you
yes it's the first balsa kit I'va bought, and since I bought it in may 2013, I've just tried to build some planes from plans, on the bostonian way. but no one is finished yet.they just helped me to improve (and mostly discover) some techniques.
xbarrioz

Postby xbarrioz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 pm

22 yellow pieces later... the fuselage is covered.

xbarrioz

Postby xbarrioz » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:20 pm

hello
back with my build !
I have a problem with the windshield. I've cut the acetate following the template, but I have a problem to bend it and glue it in place, especially on the sides (with the wood glue the acetate doesn't hold, with cyanoacrilate I fear to have white traces) is there a method, or another way to proceed to have a nice windshield ?
thanks for your help
xbarrioz

Postby Wildpig » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:28 pm

You might try forming the acetate with a hair dryer. Heat it and conform it to the shape you need.
Wildpig

Postby Billy Mc » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:42 pm

I had a hard time with the windshield on my Super Cub also. Warming it a little and form it as best you can. I ended up glueing it across the top and letting it dry until the next day then glued the rest. They make CA glue that claims to be clear plastic safe, but I haven't used it. I got good results with "Formula '560' Canopy Glue".
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 pm

davidchoate wrote:You're plane is beautiful. You sure its you're first? seriously, I'm Impressed. Any times on your flights?

That was my thought. Much more patience with tissue than I have, being a Microlite iron-on cheater. :D Nice work!
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:59 am

It looks great. Do you intend to fly it? Because you should be light enough. The colored tissue is nice. I know ypure in Europe, but I'm always looking for a better covering material. Where did you get it?, or who makes it. I noticed it was in a nice roll. And warming the plastic does help when shaping the windshield. I used a tip I got from someone here. They said to put it in hot water, and it works out good.
davidchoate

Postby xbarrioz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:13 pm

back on the workbench !
lately again, thanks again for your comments and advices.
following your advices, I've bought formula 560 glue for the canopy. AND IT WORKS !! The project that was forgotten for monthes, is back !
I spent a little time on the decoration.
Don't know why, but I wanted to give it a canadian look ! A bit of red, maple leaf on the wing and the tail... Leaves were cutten from the same kind of silk paper used on the frame.
Numbers were printed on regular paper, that was used as a template to cut it from silk paper.

hope you like it !
xbarrioz

Postby Wildpig » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:50 am

Very nice. 8)
I like the Canadian flavor markings.
Wildpig

Postby r wheatley » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:57 am

that is really a nice build, the colors look great. your first build looks better than any of mine ,hope she flies good
r wheatley

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:57 am

I always do the wingtips seperate; much like Mitch. I have even in filled them to get a perfect shape. I also like to washout the wingtips rather thn have them taper off to the bottom (flat side ) of wing. Thats just My preference. I think it looks better. I took French in high svhool. I remember one word, and oddly enough it is "papiere". means paper. papier de toielet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidchoate

Postby Coryphodon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:56 am

Hello Xavier, I am also in France,
I am sending you a PM
Coryphodon

Previous

Return to General Building Questions