Guillows Fokker E IV 28" ws

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Guillows Fokker E IV 28" ws

Postby Mitch » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Still need to secure the landing gear, but needed to do something fun... so I started covering...

Since there are no decals I will make the National markings... I started with the White Patches, both sides, trim, and make sure the paper is secured.
I will now go back and add the color (Linen) I will apply the trimmed edge to the white and have an inch overhang on the other 3 sides.
Then trim and let stand for a 30 minutes before I wet with water spray... Too soon and the paper may pull away from the glued frames as it shrinks.

The ribs are all 1/32, but where the color break is the is a triple rib (also for control lines) so that will give me a good contact area...

Too Be Continued...

About 1 hour latter...

FYI... If you have not built the Dr1 kit yet... Heads Up... for the large crosses you do not get the White Field... This was the same way I covered the Red Baron's Plane also... I cut out the crosses from the decals and applied those to white fields of White Tissue Paper.

I'm going to take a break for a while... Latter I will spray and brace wing and tail. After 1 coat of Dope I will cut out Crosses from Black tissue and apply in Second coat of dope.

Mitch :D Keep Building...Keep Happy...
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:07 am

Papering job is satisfactory, nothing pulled off. Worked on Pilot and MG's. I trimmed off barrel and will replace with small straw. I will use this "Green Stuff" to enhance the Pilot "Max"

This Green Stuff is a 2 part epoxy. You cut off what you want and knead it together, then you have about 10 minutes to work with it. I will stick to almost anything and will not affect the plastic.

Mitch

UPDATE: While having my coffee I was trying to think of a better way to access the rubber motor... I had an epiphany... :!:

I will plan to use the Morse Scout Firewall. That will also give me the shape I need for the fwd section of the fuselage... I will install some rare earth magnets in the firewall and in the fuselage. I can then just take off the engine and access the rubber quickly...
I will also trim the bottom to fit the plane better.
:?: Has anybody ever used rare earth magnets... I see there are many sizes... Any recommendations?
Any suggestions or comments are always welcome as there are no instructions... This is the "Beta" version. Mitch :?
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Engine mount coming along:
Trimmed Firewall, Although I compressed twin engine as much as I could, I needed to extend the cowling... Added a strip of Manila folder.

Engine in frame:

Cowling installed:

Back to the Fokker Factory...Need to make the side cheeks and fuselage top...
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 am

End of the Day Report:

Not as much done as I would like, but I made some progress...
Wings and tail 1 coat of dope. Crosses cut out and applied with second coat of dope ONLY to white fields. I thought the paper looked good enough and do not want to add more weight.

Still working out how top deck will go together...
Mg's primed and Pilot "Max" has Green Stuff on and will prime and paint tomorrow.

There are still a few things I have to figure out, but hope this areoplane will come together in time for WESTFAC...

Although this is not a Guillows kit (maybe someday... you can say you saw it here FIRST!), I am using there plastic parts and hope to give insight on building and other techniques... Mitch :D
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Daily Report:

Landing Gear and control brace is secured, Fuselage coved, Max got some paint... and uh... oh yeah... my taxes done, let's get to the Important Stuff...

Still need to... Make "Turtle Deck", add markings for Max Imelmann's plane, secure Rudder (I have that figured out now), and add tail skid.

I only put one coat of dope on the fuselage. I first applied the white patches, then wet with water spray. When dry and tight I glued on the black crosses, then added the rest of the linen color. When everything was shrunk I applied 1 coat of dope to the fuselage. I was able to cover the entire plane with ONE sheet of linen. NONE left over... just a few pieces of scrap I will save for "Battle Damage"

Mitch... Check in tomorrow... :D

:!: NOTE :!: on the Red Baron... Although I covered this planes with red and white tissue, this was before I sanded every part and and the numbers on the wood showed though... I painted the plane with Testors "rattle cans" of red and white before I applied the decal crosses. Since I have built this airplane I now sand all the pieces and remove all the markings on the balsa parts! Mitch :D
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Good Morning...

I got Flight Leader markings on the plane... I decided NOT to dope them on as maybe the white would become more transparent...
Just cut and glued on with glue stick, I am satisfied with the results. It's a bit of a different angle. I usually make adjustments like that and follow lins on the plane that make it easy for me to duplicate my results on both sides!
Mitch :D

Mid-Day update:

I think I got this figured out...

I will build this in 4 section:
Glued in 2 frames fwd. I will glue manila folder paper on that, and make slots for 3 mg's. then a second piece of manila over that. Pilot section will have another framework and manila folder paper, rear section will be carved out of solid balsa.

Balsa Block weighs 10g...I'll weigh again after shaped...

This should be finished tonight. Mitch :D

UPDATE:

Stage 1... mg decking:
Installed on plane:
I am using white glue so now I have to wait again, then build the cover deck... maybe finish this up tomorrow...
Mitch

Postby mustangman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Very Impressive I must say! :D Wish I had the patience to build something like that! Mark
mustangman

Postby Mitch » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks Mark...
End of the Day Report...Getting ready for the flight line:
"The air service issued Max Immelmann a customized E IV serial no. 189/16...
...with three synchronized Spandau mg's...
...He took this aircraft into action in February 1916...
...and scored 3 victories..."

There are a few things to finish up... windshield, tailskid...rigging wires... but the plane is on track.

I plan to take this plane to WESTFAC IV and enter it into COMBAT!
She will have a 9-1/2 inch Peck prop and 6 feet of FAI super sport TAN rubber! Elevator and rudder are adjustable and stay in position when turned! Wings will have flying wires and wing warping ability!

:!: UPDATE: The Eindecker model is weighing in now at 125 grams... Heavy, but is seems very close to balance. With large wing area, (I calculate 130 square inches), I have a better wing load than my Guillows 400 series Spitfire, and that flew. Not well, but it FLEW! :D
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Details, details, de tales,

Just did a few things today:

1. Cockpit coaming (Q-tip shafts)
2. Detail Pilot "Max" (Guillows pilot - paint and tape)
3. Landing gear bracing (Guillows line)
4. Tail skid (popsicle stick)
5. Foot steps (paper clips)
6. Trimmed "turtle deck" (balsa block)
7. Covered Landing gear to make it look stronger (coffee straws)

To do list

1. I made the 'side cheeks" for the cowling out of manila paper... need to attach
2. Windscreen is cut out, need to install
3. Touch up aluminum paint

I think that's it... I will plan to install wing and run control wires and do a photo shoot before I go... fly? ...this untested crate... :roll:

Mitch... Keep building, keep having FUN :D
Mitch

Postby Steve Blanchard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 am

Hey Mitch, great job! Looks awesome. I built an Eindecker at 38" and it was a great slow flyer.

Good luck at West FAC

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Mitch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks Steve, and everyone else who advised during my build, and all you who read my thread... Although this is NOT a Guillows kit, I have posted here, used some of there parts and it fits in scale with my WW1 Fokker Fighters, my SE5a, and future WW1 fighters. (100 series scaled up)
Thanks to the Guillows team for letting me post here also...

Morning Report:

1. Windshield is on, glue is drying
2. Side cheeks taped in place, and also secured my screw
3. Touch up of Aluminum finish... I laid it on heavy and made swirl marks with my brush to simulate the polishing marks!

As it is raining here in the NW USA (REALLY?) I will not be able to test fly... But I have my field box ready to go and I'm ready to give it my best shot...

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 am

Saturday Morning Report:

The Last Item...
The first poke...
The wing getting threaded...
All the lines coming together...
...and it looks like this...
...and there sits, Max Immelmann, in his new Fokker E IV ready for take off...

I have tried to build this model before (E III version), a Sterling kit (22" ws) a Dumas kit (18" ws) but failed both times... With your help and support I completed this 29" ws Guillow Engine equipped Fokker E IV. Thank you All for your support and encouragement.

Mitch

PS I just measured the ws and it looks like 29-3/4 inches. The increase in size is because I changed the angle of the wingtips from the Morse Scout plans. In these pictures the model is sporting a 7 inch Guillows propeller. I will attempt to fly with a 9-1/2 inch Peck Prop. I am a bit nervous that the WW1 Mass launch is First Event on the First Day of WESTFAC IV, and I will have little or no time for trim flights... WE ARE AT WAR! WE MUST GO! WE MUST TRY!
Mitch

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:28 am

Great job Mitch! If you are planning to fly this in WWI mass launch I think you better check with the contest director and see if they are allowing monoplanes. Most FAC contests only allow Biplanes for WWI combat. I have seen monoplanes allowed before but it is extremely rare. Better safe than sorry. It looks great. You really put a lot work into the details. That really makes it come alive.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Mitch » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi Everyone... Down here in Sunny Southern CA.

My Eindecker will not go in Mass Launch tomorrow. It is entered in FF SCALE. As you say they do not allow Monoplanes for Mass launch. The Guys down here say it "Too Good" for MASS LAUNCH... those are usually the battle worn models...

I still have not flown it, today was Inspection.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi All I did a search and found my old build log... Hope this will help. I believe 30 inch ws is nice enouh. If you build larger you can put in R/C. My plane fits nicely side by side with my Dr1 and other Guillow Kitbashes of the same scale.

Mitch
Mitch

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions