Guillows Fokker E IV 28" ws

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Guillows Fokker E IV 28" ws

Postby phil64 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:07 am

Great job!Should help with my build.
phil64

Postby Brenda » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:57 am

I just bought a Sterling version at AMA Expo and got the wing done so far. I spoke to Dave over at DPC and found out AFTER I started the Sterling that DPC makes a laser cut kit DOH! Thus far the error in the Sterling is the dihedral. Me and my brain put two and two together and came out with purple. As a C/L plane the wing should be flat and I already built the wing. So looks like I'm going to have one rubber and one .049 powered now. Sometimes I wish I would engage brain before engage glue. This is my first WWI build ever, and I have no idea why but I really like the looks of the Fokker. So much drag from lines, cables, struts, and flat spots. But stitz and dope with perfect lines. I wonder if the orig plane was zigzag stitch with dope, straight stitch or no stitch. When I was 14 years old I would help the greatest A&P in the world work on airplanes. His name was Milton Spence. I helped him recover a Playboy, Starduster, Mong and a J3. He had a special pair of scissors that had a zigzag pattern on them and I would cut 1in "tape" that he would place over the seams. Milton had a hand needle and roll of thread and would stitch up the whole plane.

Wow ok trip down memory lane there. Perhaps Milton is the reason I only want to work with dope and poly glue (can't get poly in California so use SIG-Ment).
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:56 am

Don't feel bad about buying something, then finding a better model... After I finished this I found out that Dumas now makes a 30 in ws Eindecker. Mine should have been 28 but ended up a bit bigger, then I did not follow the wingtip shape and gained another inch. The best part of this build was the advice I got on how to build the warping wings. With 2 dowels traveling though the ribs. I loved that idea!

The people at the model show I brought this model to also liked my model...
... and I brought this model as an after thought... The model I wanted to show off was my Red Bull Edge 540! I enjoyed talking with people and hope I found a few more Guillow fans!

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Brenda » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Hey Mitch what aluminum paint did you use? Was it Lusterkote or ? Reason I ask is I'm not sure I want to try this Krylon stuff
Brenda

Postby Mitch » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Brenda...et al,

I am in Anchorage now. I only use LusterKote "Crystal Clear" for the paper. I built this model over a year ago now. I sprayed the cowl with a small rattle can of silver paint. I do not remember what brand. I tried to make swirl marks with my Dremel tool with a polishing bit. That did not work. So I used my Valejo water colors paints. I usually thin them down, but applied it fairly heavy and made swirl marks with my paint brush.

I suppose LusterKote comes in colors but I have to check, I only use clear over colored paper from EasyBuiltModels.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby PsyberPhlier » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:10 pm

That is a very nice plane, Mitch.

Ted
"Chief Dumb Thumb"

PsyberPhlier

Previous

Return to General Building Questions