The Oberursel Factory

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: The Oberursel Factory

Postby Mitch » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:11 am

A new order came in for a double bank rotary engine... I plan to recreate this...

This engine was installed in Max Immelman's Fokker EIV...

Here is the progress so far...

The engine on the Right is from the Morse Scout... It has a deeper offset. I plan to use 2 fokker Dr1 engines...
I cut out the back of one engine, and the front of the other to "marry" them together.

When they are stacked together , they look like this...(I am not using the Morse Scout Engine for this project)

Moreover, the twin engine fits inside the Morse Scout cowling...

I will cut back the Cowling to the pencil line and cut out the vent holes... But first I must build the 2 engines and join them together. I found it interesting to look at the Photo of the real engine and see the Push Rods for the rear engine reach across and tie into the front engine. I plan to try to recreate this also... I plan to make my exhaust pipes from plastic , as my last engine came out too heavy.

This engine will be installed in my next Fokker project the E IV. I will use the top wing of the Morse Scout and extend it by 2 inches... The rest of the model will be scatch build in the stick style constuction method, like the "Arrow" or "Fly Boy" . Moreover my new (OLD) Fokker will be in the same scale as my other Guillow models.

I have the complete Morse Scout Kit, but when I am done with this project I can just order the parts I used to build the Morse Scout latter.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:43 am

The new double engine is nearly complete:
And stacked together it looks like this:
With the cowling on it looks like this:
I expect the cowling will be trimmed back a bit more to reveal 4 complete pistons. Also will open up 6 vent holes.
This engine exhast pipes were built with Q-tip shafts and painted. My last model engine was too heavy.

Work to be done:
1. Glue engines together
2. Add pushrods for rear engine
3. Touch up paint

When Airplane is completed I can add weight inside the engine if needed for balaning model. :D

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Wildpig » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 pm

That is fabulous ! Outstanding custom build idea.

A twin rotary. I can't imagine the gyroscopic effect of that much mass spinning. I've heard the gyro effects of the Camel engine (single row, rotary) was difficult enough to deal with.
Wildpig

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks... These Radial Engines also refered to as Rotary Engines spin and create a hugh gyroscopic affect. This airplane however also has a HUGH wing and I do not kow how much the engine affected this plane. I do know that the E-IV was a disappointment and was the last of the E series. The engine in the E-IV was 2 banks of 7, mine is 2x9 so it's a bit of a tight fit with all the pushrods.

The radial engine mounted in a short ws plane such as the Dr1 made it VERY manuverable, and could outturn most planes in a Right hand turn! Even when the Dr1 was pulled out of service, Manfred Von Richtofen was allowed to keep his. He had a modified plane and I believe he had as many as 3 at his dispossal at any given time.

I plan to create more Radial Engine models and some other mfgr's had a different look. I plan to build as many WW1 airplanes as I can from either Guillows plans or my own design. I will post here as I have always enjoyed building Guillow models and hope my creations will inspire some of you to build more WW1 models! :P Mitch

let me leave you with this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_BSjAZPcEM

I think when I start building the Allies, I should build a plane like in the video... I like the OPEN framework

UPDATE...from the internet...
"Originally radial engines had one row of cylinders, but as engine sizes increased it became necessary to add extra rows. The first known radial-configuration engine to ever use a twin-row design was the 160 hp Gnôme "Double Lambda" rotary engine of 1912, designed as a 14-cylinder twin-row version of the firm's 80 hp Lambda single-row seven-cylinder rotary, with only the German Oberursel U.III clone of the Double Lambda reproducing the Gnome Double Lambda's twin-row design before the end of World War I."
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:07 pm

At Long Last... the twin banked rotary is ready for installation...

Remember you are looking at photo close ups... from 3 feet away your minds eye blends the small details you cannot see well and you do not notce the imperfections...

Also ALL my rotary engines are removable... So I can remove and work on engines and replace... If the plane is destroyed I can re-use the Engine! :D

Mitch... NOW I NEED TO GET TO WORK ON THE EINDECKER!!!
Mitch

Postby The Cameraman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:05 am

Hi Mitch,

superb.

Regards

Reggie
Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman

Postby Mitch » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:21 am

Hey Guys,

Good Morning. I was having my morning coffee and catching up. I see someone asked about my "Engine thread", so I had to go back to find it.
It was back on page 6.

I plan to make another engine soon as I need a Gnome for my Nieport and a few P&W's for my Racers of the '30's.

Hope you enjoy looking over the builds.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby davidchoate » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:52 pm

thats some nice work Mitch.
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks... and after all that work, FAC only requires a paper picture of an engine! They are more interested in the FLYING characteristics of the model, rather than ENGINE detail... I don't care, It was fun to build, and I enjoyed it. I plan to make more engines like that!

Mitch... BUILD what makes you happy, and FLY if you dare... It is a real TREAT to see the plane you built flying in the BIG BLUE SKY! :D
Mitch

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey Mitch,

Don't be too hasty to start putting paper engines on your ships. The judges at the scale table will be more impressed and ready to give points to a 3-d engine than a paper one.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Mitch » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Okay Steve, I understand, 3d engine not required. So I can mount that for mass launch if I have to. Judged events... Give 'em all you got! Mitch :D
Mitch

Postby duk774 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:33 pm

All I can say is "WOW"! Remarkable detail. I really enjoyed looking at how it all came together Mitch.
Fantastic work!

Keep Flying!
Bill
duk774

Postby Mitch » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Since you like that, here are a few pictures of the Engine in the plane it was built for:

and:

And another close up:
Since I scratch built this model I see Dumas added a 30 inch ws Fokker E III to there line up. I do not know if that kit came before or after I built this model. Mine started out at 28 and ended up at about 29 inch ws. I am curious if Dumas gives you an engine or how that goes together, of course I built the E IV because it had a Double Banked Engine!

This model has not flown, but has a wing load of about .5 grams per sq. inch. I understand it is tricky to get models to fly properly with the type of tail the Eindecker has... I will try to fly her someday... that was why I built her... for now she is just collecting dust! Mitch :(
Mitch

Postby One Cut » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi Mitch,
I'm getting back into building after a 20+ year layoff from models. Spent the last 20 building LCACs for our Navy and the Japanese, Motor Life Boats for the Coast Guard, and ASVs for our guys serving in raghead countries. Too much fabrication and building to come home and build models. Retired April '13 and had 11 cat gliders completed by end of May. Now doing kit builds and some scratch builds, along with a few jet cats thrown in for good measure. But after looking at the stuff you guys are posting on these forums I'm crawling back in my hole. :-) Gives me something to strive for. You guys do some great work. Looking at your engines reminded me of a trip I made to the Naval Museum in Pensacola several years ago. They had a rotary engine on display and as I looked closer at it saw that the spark plug wires looked exactly like screen door springs. Just the tension of the spring held it on the spark plug and magneto.

Yeah, I, too am a Guillows fan. Really like the laser cut kits but don't have many of them yet, but do have several series complete that I'll be doing.

One cut
One Cut

Postby davidchoate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:58 pm

don't underestimate yourself Mitch. Your engines look awesome.
davidchoate

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions