GUILLOWS *B-29 SUPERFORTRESS* MODEL KIT on E-Bay

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: GUILLOWS *B-29 SUPERFORTRESS* MODEL KIT on E-Bay

Postby ArtGle » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:01 pm

I have two Guillows B-29 kits, one still sealed in cellophane, the other 'opened but COMPLETE'.
I live right near the Guillows Factory in Wakefield, Massachusetts.
I want to sell them "FOR WHAT I PAID"...
I paid $100.oo Plus the MA sales tax for them.
I don't want to "RIP" anyone, I'd just rather they go to someone who'll appreciate them.
I can, and WILL take them to the Guillows Factory for 'inspection' if so desired.

Let me know.
Art

cheap.yank@yahoo.com
ArtGle

Postby ArtGle » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 pm

I also have the B-17 Flying Fortress and P-47 ThunderBolt kits for reasonable offers.

Again, I can have them 'verified' by the Guillows people.
ArtGle

Postby tailgunner » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:04 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum and having trouble with PMs. Art, not sure if you got my messages but I'd be interested in one of the B29 kits. Can you pm me or reply to this thread? Thank you. Scott
tailgunner

Postby BillParker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:06 am

This thread was old and done, but I had to revive it just for this:

Vintage New Guillows B-29 Superfortress Enola Gay Kit No. 2005 1/32 scale

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-Guillows-B-29-Superfortress-Enola-Gay-Kit-No-2005-1-32-scale-/141447703442?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20eef0ab92

Opening bid: (get ready...) $500.00 USD... Not kidding.

Best part though is that the next auction in the list is:

Rare Sealed 1/32 Guillows B-29 Superfortress Kit 2005 WW2 Enola Gay Bomber Balsa

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Sealed-1-32-Guillows-B-29-Superfortress-Kit-2005-WW2-Enola-Gay-Bomber-Balsa-/351205463734?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item51c57a16b6

Opening bid: .99 Cents USD...

Taking bets on which one sells...
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Bill one of those sellers is a clown. He posts a photo of the B29 along with a measly Comet P38, and then the fine print says that the sale is only for the P38 and that the B29 will be in another listing. That's completely against Ebay rules to be misleading like that, and the guy is simply trying to bring attraction to his worthless P38 kit. If you saw the listing, it's completely feasible that someone could have bought the Comet kit, and expected the B29 with it, since it was IN THE PHOTO. Ebay sellers like that are among the worst.

This is nonsense:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comet-Flying-Ba ... 20eee22d1b
So it appears that I get all 3. If not, then why are then in the photo? Yeah we all know, I already answered that one. It's not like you had to scan a Polaroid instant photo, where it will cost you a $1.50 to take another one with them shown individually. BTW you don't start the bidding for a Comet P38 at $36, and your promo scam won't help you get more for it either. Starting auctions at prices well above what should be a Buy It Now price is ridiculous. I'm gonna take a guess that this seller bought the kit from some poor old woman's estate sale of her late husband's belongings, where he bargained her down to 5 bucks, telling her something like "Mam that kit really has no value and 5 bucks is all I can give you for it".
Bill Gaylord

Postby REZONATOR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:29 am

I'm in search of a b29 kit, if anyone has one for sale please let me know. Tia
REZONATOR

Postby BillParker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:01 pm

Okay so the guy gets no bids after a week. Zero. So what does he do? List it again starting at $500..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-Guillows-B-29-Superfortress-Enola-Gay-Kit-No-2005-1-32-scale-/141455413450?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20ef6650ca

I've seen em go at 3 bills, but not 5...
BillParker

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:38 pm

You know that really blows me away Bill, how they relist without taking the hint that they are too expensive. Same goes for auctions where the starting bid is at the high end of a Buy It Now price. I'm not giving them my bid, for them to sit on for 6 days as a virtual guarantee of getting their money, while I have to wait. Sorry, not happening.

If I wanted one of these, I'd just build it. The tube "airliner" type fuse is easy to construct, and the cocpit glass sections would be about as easy as it gets to trim from a hand pulled mold. The top glass could probably be trimmed out from the correct part of the curve of the right sized plastic pop bottle. Four Guillows replacement cowls from the smaller Hellcat would be close enough for the engine cowlings.

After knocking out a Dehavilland Comet fully functional EDF in just weeks, I'd scratch build the B29 blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back, before I paid 500 bucks for a kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:08 am

You gotta read that fine print. I usually reply to seller making an offer for immediate buy,and if I dont get hit back; I go. I hate the bidding. I have bid before,and won, and not heard it for a week later. Not having time to check my emails everyday, I dont catch it, and then ebay bans me for a week or two. I have found a couple peeple on it who are good sellers, and they will privately email me when they want to part with a kit, or whatever.
davidchoate

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:25 pm

davidchoate wrote:You gotta read that fine print. I usually reply to seller making an offer for immediate buy,and if I don't get hit back; I go. I hate the bidding. I have bid before,and won, and not heard it for a week later. Not having time to check my emails everyday, I dont catch it, and then ebay bans me for a week or two. I have found a couple peeple on it who are good sellers, and they will privately email me when they want to part with a kit, or whatever.
Ditto, not a bidding fan. The sellers expect you to place post-its all over your house, so that you can remember to pay them exactly when you "win", if that's really winning anything. :D There's a lot of them where I feel like making a good offer, knowing they won't get their absurd price. Not worth the effort from what I understand though. They're either realistic about pricing or unrealistic. Not a fan of people wanting to make it rich by selling stuff they bought for 5 bucks. Some of the kits there actually have writing saying something like 5 bucks on them, which is all that they paid a few days ago at a garage/estate sale for them.

There's a B29 right now that's missing the "outer body", whatever that means. http://www.ebay.com/itm/390962158194?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT Looks like the cocpit glass is missing, but you can only barely see what appears to be a tiny corner of a parts sheet, so there's no telling what else may be missing. Not worth the 100 bucks at this point though. I'm not into paying to scratchbuild, which is what got me onto Guillows kits in the first place, since all the glass and detail parts were in the box.

I recently paid good dollar for a Sterling Citabria, since the seller bothered to upload photos of the parts showing that everything was there. I couldn't see them, and there was a tube of obviously used glue in the box, which is a really bad sign. Turned out the glue was hard as a rock. :D When they won't respond to emails asking for proof of contents then I'll pass. No Ebay burner box wanted thank you. I've had them say that I'm supposed to trust them before, while half of them have no idea in the first place about what's supposed to be in the box.
Bill Gaylord

Postby woundedbear » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:39 pm

hello everyone from the poorest state in the lower 48, I been watching those Guillows B-29 kits myself, can anybody tell me what old kit # 2005 cost when it was in production ? Just bought a couple of Guillows kits off evil bay myself, and got what I thought was a good price. The last one was photographed and presented very well, the one before that was a double shot of P-38s, I studied the Guillows replacement page and asked the guy some questions before bidding on them.Also spent some $200.13 at SIG last month, I think buying wood from SIG is better because they will for ".25 and .35 cents per sheet" pick out the grain and weight you want. Also bought a 1/48th scale plastic kit of a airplane I've never heard of until I saw it. It's a De Havilland Hornet F1 or can be built as a F3, went to the infernal net and read up on it. Now that was a sexy air o plane!! Well that's enough for me to be writing at one time now I'll just shut up and read what you other folks have been up to. I'm new to forms this is the first one I've joined, so please forgive me just going on and on like I do. Regards from the woundedbear
woundedbear

Postby Wildpig » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:12 pm

BillParker wrote:Okay so the guy gets no bids after a week. Zero. So what does he do? List it again starting at $500..

An obviously deluded person but, hey, I"ve seen non-selling items relist at a higher price. :shock:
I"ve seen an auction where the seller said that if it didn't sell this time, he was going to relist at a higher price,
"then you'll have to pay big bucks to get it". :roll:
Wildpig

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:39 am

Wildpig wrote:
BillParker wrote:Okay so the guy gets no bids after a week. Zero. So what does he do? List it again starting at $500..

An obviously deluded person but, hey, I"ve seen non-selling items relist at a higher price. :shock:
I"ve seen an auction where the seller said that if it didn't sell this time, he was going to relist at a higher price,
"then you'll have to pay big bucks to get it". :roll:

Just the kind of seller we all want to deal with eh? :D

woundedbear wrote:hello everyone from the poorest state in the lower 48, I been watching those Guillows B-29 kits myself, can anybody tell me what old kit # 2005 cost when it was in production ? Just bought a couple of Guillows kits off evil bay myself, and got what I thought was a good price. The last one was photographed and presented very well, the one before that was a double shot of P-38s, I studied the Guillows replacement page and asked the guy some questions before bidding on them.Also spent some $200.13 at SIG last month, I think buying wood from SIG is better because they will for ".25 and .35 cents per sheet" pick out the grain and weight you want. Also bought a 1/48th scale plastic kit of a airplane I've never heard of until I saw it. It's a De Havilland Hornet F1 or can be built as a F3, went to the infernal net and read up on it. Now that was a sexy air o plane!! Well that's enough for me to be writing at one time now I'll just shut up and read what you other folks have been up to. I'm new to forms this is the first one I've joined, so please forgive me just going on and on like I do. Regards from the woundedbear
If my memory serves me correct, I believe I remember seeing this kit at the LHS around 2004 for somewhere in the $100 range. Personally I would base the kit's value on how it compares with other currently available kits with considerable detail parts, because I don't consider it collectible due to production number. That said, it's easily worth $150, but not what the sellers ask. The best thing to realize is that there's a LOT more of these out there than people think. My LHS owner years ago gave me a statistic that somewhere in the 1% range of kits are ever built. At the time I questioned it, but not anymore. As soon as the sellers realize that they are holding onto something where the supply exceeds demand, things change. The B29 kit is being held onto by collectors, which is the only reason it is scarce. The reason is simply due to the fact that since it is a recent kit, the collectors are still alive.

A good example of relatively fast market change is the Sterling Peashooter I'm building now. A few years ago they went for $60 all day long. Now it's somewhere like $30, which seemed to happen quickly. The reason is due to the original collectors not being around anymore, and people realizing that my 2 Sterling Peashooter builds and Steve St. Martin's are about the only ones seen on the internet. The consensus becomes that there are a pile of these Sterling P26 kits out there that will never be built, while model builders in general are diminishing. Better sell it now before it's not worth anything. Same thing will eventually happen with the B29. A good example is that my Peashooter came from an older kit builder who was selling off much of his collection, realizing he would never build them and wanting to get his money out of them while he could. He was a nice guy that I talked to for a bit, and got a good picture of what he did in the hobby.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Mitch » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:31 am

Hey Guys,

As for the Peashooter for 30 dollars, could it be that Dumas makes a Peashooter now in laser cut and the price is about 30 dollars.

When I buy a model from ebay, it is to build not for an investment. But my flying models still have mishaps and get damaged, therefore I am more careful with kits that are OOP.

http://www.dumasproducts.com/popup_imag ... 64&image=0

As for the B-29... If I was interested I would pay no more than the price of a 2000 series kit. Right now I have the B-17 I bought for about half price... I need to build that first!

Most of the Guillow kits I bought on ebay are the 100 series. I usually bought them for about 20 dollars (what I think they would cost if still in production) I did spend a bit more for the Albatross, Pfalz, and Halberstadt. I do not buy them anymore because you can get plans that are OOP for free from Hip Pocket, and you can buy laser cut parts for all the 100 series from DPC models for 18 dollars. There are a few 100 series kits on ebay now for 20 dollars. I think the most common are the Fokker D7 and the SE5a. :D

DPC does NOT have the parts for the 200 series DH 4, or the Rumpler. :(

Mitch
Mitch

Postby BillParker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:06 pm

So here we are 6 days later.... No the $500 big bird didn't get a single bid...

But never fear, he's back and he lowered his opening bid to $475! (I think he heard us laughing at him...)

But, at the rate, sometime next year....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-Guillows-B-29-Superfortress-Enola-Gay-Kit-No-2005-1-32-scale-/141462973576?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20efd9ac88
BillParker

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions