GUILLOWS *B-29 SUPERFORTRESS* MODEL KIT on E-Bay

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: GUILLOWS *B-29 SUPERFORTRESS* MODEL KIT on E-Bay

Postby John G Jedinak » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:10 pm

212 inches........17.6 feet...for the wing span....you gotta be sh..ing us!!!!!
John G Jedinak

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 pm

BillParker wrote:I got one!

Took nearly 3 years...

70 bucks plus freight...

(and the kit IS complete...)

bp

...and the Ebay seller's shipping charge was $200. :D
Bill Gaylord

Postby SteveM » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:31 pm

She's a rare beauty. And so is that kit.
SteveM

Postby BillParker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:08 pm

shipping was 20 bucks...

The reason that it was cheap, was that the guy didn't list it as Guillow's but just a B-29 model... I took a page out of you guy's book and did searches for weeks under just "b-29" until I found me one...
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 pm

BillParker wrote:shipping was 20 bucks...

The reason that it was cheap, was that the guy didn't list it as Guillow's but just a B-29 model... I took a page out of you guy's book and did searches for weeks under just "b-29" until I found me one...
You definitely got lucky with that method. I always do multiple searches like that also, trying to find the "mislisted" items.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:32 am

I got mine for free, can't beat that!
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby paul » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 am

A new thread on your build would be very nice and interesting :)
paul

Postby BillParker » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:05 pm

Will do, (new thread) when we get there. Long way and lots of projects before that...

1.. all 9 500 series planes w/10 foot wings...

2.. the bombers, B-25, B-17, B24, and then the B-29... All big, but how big?

3.. the jets... F-16, F-15, F-14, and from not guillow's F-4, and F-100, so far... all big...

Bet we get into Ripley's...

bp
BillParker

Postby Wildpig » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:10 pm

BillParker wrote:Bet we get into Ripley's...

bp

Or in trouble with your Neighborhood Association. :D

All very interesting projects, particularly the B-24, B-29. I"ll bet the F-4 will be real popular. There are plenty of Phanatics out there.
Wildpig

Postby BillParker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:53 pm

That's the real charm of Arthur's new property... NO HOA... *EVIL Giggle*...

Every other house has chickens and horses and goats, and .... Ain't seen no pigs yet, but...
BillParker

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:15 pm

BillParker wrote:That's the real charm of Arthur's new property... NO HOA... *EVIL Giggle*...

Every other house has chickens and horses and goats, and .... Ain't seen no pigs yet, but...

Nor would I ever move into a property that had an HOA...but that's probably for another forum. ;)

I really wish that I had the time to do a large one because they are such fun. Everything I have been doing lately is either a No-Cal (16" span maximum) or 1:16 scale. However, I have been looking at some aircraft that would not be of insignificant size at 1:16 scale.
kittyfritters

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:23 pm

David Duckett wrote:While I applaud the great prices y'all have gotten, the proof will be in the finished pudding!

You bet. I actually feel guilty for the first time, as I have several kits stashed from over this past year. In the past I never had more than one on hand, as I believe kits are supposed to be built, and not stored. Better build that thing Bill!

Bill sure got a good deal also. I just saw an auction finish today, where the price went all the way to $226.
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1423.l2765
As usual, there are two bidders that really compete to get the kit. I'm convinced they both have a desire to "spank" :D the other bidder for competing with them, making them really pay if they want to win it. In the last 8 seconds, the loser maid the winner pay an additional $30. Everyone else dropped out at way back at $130. If I were Guillows, I'd probably run a short production of this kit, as it would sell in limited numbers. Like everything else, once it's available the fad dies away, but they certainly could sell a number of them. Same goes for the Aircobra.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Bill Gaylord wrote: Like everything else, once it's available the fad dies away, but they certainly could sell a number of them. Same goes for the Aircobra.

The 18" WW I series kits that were discontinued earlier (Albatross, Halberstadt, Sopwith Snipe, Bristol Bullet) all fetch a hefty $50-75 too.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Bill Gaylord wrote:

You bet. I actually feel guilty for the first time, as I have several kits stashed from over this past year. In the past I never had more than one on hand, as I believe kits are supposed to be built, and not stored. Better build that thing Bill!

Bill sure got a good deal also. I just saw an auction finish today, where the price went all the way to $226.
As usual, there are two bidders that really compete to get the kit. I'm convinced they both have a desire to "spank" :D the other bidder for competing with them, making them really pay if they want to win it. In the last 8 seconds, the loser maid the winner pay an additional $30. Everyone else dropped out at way back at $130. If I were Guillows, I'd probably run a short production of this kit, as it would sell in limited numbers. Like everything else, once it's available the fad dies away, but they certainly could sell a number of them. Same goes for the Aircobra.

I was at an auction house, with my wife, to bid on some furniture, but noticed a Grumman factory display model of the F11F among the items in the pre-auction inspection. I determined to have it. The bidding started at $5 and went up in spirited bidding. At $125 most of the bidders dropped out leaving me and one other person on the other side of the room. When he topped my $165 bid at $175 I stood up to get the measure of the fellow I was bidding against. He was wearing a real, not reproduction, AVG jacket with a blood chit on the back. I decided that this was a serious collector, with more funds than I had and dropped out. I wonder just how far this one would have gone on e-bay?
kittyfritters

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:16 am

kittyfritters wrote:
Bill Gaylord wrote:

I was at an auction house, with my wife, to bid on some furniture, but noticed a Grumman factory display model of the F11F among the items in the pre-auction inspection. I determined to have it. The bidding started at $5 and went up in spirited bidding. At $125 most of the bidders dropped out leaving me and one other person on the other side of the room. When he topped my $165 bid at $175 I stood up to get the measure of the fellow I was bidding against. He was wearing a real, not reproduction, AVG jacket with a blood chit on the back. I decided that this was a serious collector, with more funds than I had and dropped out. I wonder just how far this one would have gone on e-bay?
One thing's for sure: the auctioneers loved you for getting an additional $50 for them. :D On Ebay, you wouldn't have been able to determine what the seller's position was, and it could have gone a lot higher. The good thing there is that you knew the guy was for real. On Ebay, about half the time I see one of the so-called serious, end of auction bidders with low scores and/or bid retractions, which is a good indication of a shill.
Bill Gaylord

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions