Advice sought

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Advice sought

Postby Szyp » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 pm

I am thinking of moving up in terms of difficulty, from the 200 series to the 801 Sopwith Camel. Assuming I go slow, take m time, you know, do all the right tings, is the model doable- of course it is doable, but should I practice more before the leap, because once I start it, I will finish it properly as a static display doing whatever it takes. Thanks for any advice or caveats. :?:
Szyp

Postby John G Jedinak » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Absolutely stunning work, David.
John G Jedinak

Advice Sought

Postby rayd » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Szyp...most of us here seem reasonalby intelligent, sharp, nice, resourceful, so just about anything would be doable. Sometimes though, looking at things differently may help, to see what may hinder. In the hobby world decades back, we built all kinds of "stuff" flying, static, etc...but back then, likely had no real worry about things like supplies, availability, workspace, smell of glue, paints, fuel, areas to fly/display/store, rules and regs, litigation, etc.

Now, decades later, "stuff" is costly, limited LHS, regulations galore, and significant other may disapprove of eg "clutter." Sure, you're smart enough to make that plane..it's just bigger, maybe more parts, but certainly doable to a guy like youself. If you can make a small "stick model, " the basics are there for large ones...BUT, think...do you have the room? Workspace? Display area? Are you gonna use dope/smelly glues that might disturb? Might it bother them...might stong odors seep thru cracks or infiltrate your own furniture?

I've 4 unstarted Guillows planes and 2 more coming. A rude awakening recently... I'm gonna get in doghouse unless I use a way less desirable area to construct. Hmm....need to keep the peace, so I'm really limited now, and looks like I'll be buying lots of Elmers. So, look at the overall picture. Yes, I know this sounds negative, but it may be reality. Hey, good luck, I'll know I'll need it. :(
rayd

Postby Szyp » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:30 pm

No, it is not negative at all- it is the truth. I am going to do it, because I am a lot more like you guys than I thought. Thanks for the advice. It hit home.
Szyp

Postby Szyp » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Did you decide to add the double wing formers your self, and what is your approach to the magnificent covering job- wet, dry, dilute white glue, UHU, dope? It is absolutely a masterpiece!! :?:
Szyp

Postby cliffm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:09 pm

I can't get by with the nitrate dope in the house but a thumbs up to the heavy silkspan and the wet covering. It takes a few extra coats with the 50/50 elmers but it sure works nice with the heavy silkspan on display models. I got enough for about 4 large scale models for about $10 with shipping from Sig so the price isn't bad at all. I don't know how I missed the spad,guess it'll have to get put on my list. Oh,nice looking build Mr. Duckett.
cliffm

Postby roring40 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:32 pm

I say go for it ! The only way forward is to challenge yourself and the best way to do that is to get that Camel kit unpacked and start building. Good luck !
roring40

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 pm

what could posibly go wrong? famous last words...

:D :wink:

go for it.
ADW 123

Postby roring40 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:16 am

ADW 123 wrote:what could posibly go wrong? famous last words...

:D :wink:

Well yeah, it could turn into a disaster leaving him blubbering and banging his fore-head on the work-bench, but hey that's life - lot's of things make me do that ! for it.
roring40

Camel

Postby rayd » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 am

:) Get ahold of one of those Snoopy keychains, put it on your workbench for inspiration, then install him later as the pilot, as least for awhile. Do it up, you're quite capable of this build, and thanks to this Guillows forum, and the fine people who participate, you'll do fine.
rayd

Postby Szyp » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:12 pm

I am not concerned about trying, and not having it come out to expectations, I have to make a choice between more practice on the laser cut 200 series vs. the 800 series, which does not appear to be laser cut. I think I think too much, and my only concern is time spent and never having a model to post- but then again, what is this hobby all about? Relaxation, creativity, problem solving, success, and failure. That is why I like it so much that it has endured over my lifetime. When I was 14, I would have gone full speed ahead- why can't a 64 year old man with all the time in the world not go for it (rhetorical question)? 800 Camel it is. Like the commercial, just do it. :!:
Szyp

Postby rayd » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:32 pm

:wink: Guys our age have been building non laser kits for decades.Time marches on faster it seems for us..ahem, mature guys, and some may be walking with one foot on a banana peel. Just kiddin', but so what if the balsa pieces don't easily fall out, we're used to this. The challenge of die crush parts, but no big deal. Sometimes new fangled things like laser cut balsa can spoil us. Hey! look at that great model David Duckett has going. Well deserved kudos in order.
rayd

Postby cliffm » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:16 am

After my unexpected early retirement my life was pretty dull without some kind of challenge and activity to devote my energies to.When I saw the big corsair kit at a hobby shop it brought back the childhood feelings of awe and envy I'd felt when seeing it hanging in a high school guy's bedroom. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time. Well, when I got home and opened up that kit it brought those old feelings right on back. Hey,it said for ages 14 and up,so I just stuck my nose in the plans and the little instructional booklets and failure was not even an idea of an option. Sure, I made some hilariously stupid mistakes and also discovered I could get some really nice results. So, jump in with both feet and get rid of the negativity and doubts,go for it.
cliffm

Postby rayd » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:37 am

David...you bring back memories re parts printed on balsa. As a kid, we had Coment "stick models" with printed parts on balsa. You cut 'em out with a razor blade and used glass bottle of Testers Cement for a dime. I may have two old kits still in basement somewhere, bought in 60s maybe ...gotta look, One of 'em still had printed parts. I also recall pre plastic static model days, where you bought kit having basically a chunk of balsa and some parts for a dime or quarter. (Remember?) You had to carve 'em using templates. I often botched up fuselage. Hmm...I like to reminisce.

A "poor story" of sorts...guess lots of us have some. At age 8 maybe, with funds poor, built a plane with flat tooth picks and covered it with wax paper glued on mostly. Tell ya, it lasted a good week being gentle, then broke into a thousand pieces upon partially successful glide of a couple yards. Thing is, it was fun to make, and I felt proud/resourceful. Hey! Maybe "stuff" like this good for a lively new motivational topic...eg, Resourcefulness. Yes David, I'm a kid, a couple years your junior. :D But seriously folks, I'm genuinely impressed with David's Sopwith Camel, detailed pilot and all with mustache, but still say iconic Snoopy should pilot it. It was the Snoop's aircraft of choice in fighting the Red Baron. :)
rayd

Return to General Building Questions