Silly question about 403 Spitfire LC

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Silly question about 403 Spitfire LC

Postby Szyp » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 am

This may seem like a silly question, but the only silly question is the one you don't ask...
How do I attach the balsa wheel covers to he landing gear/bottom of wing? The instructions are basically silent on this, and I have worked a lot of hours on this 403 Spitfire to not get this right. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. :?:
Szyp

Postby Szyp » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:09 am

Another silly question- glue to what? I have the wire wrapped with plastic hosing to the plans dimensions, and the gear mounted to the wing spars. Do you mean that I should glue the balsa wheel covers to the plastic hose, and if so, besides filling the hose with glue to keep it from twisting, how do I keep the balsa covers properly aligned- by gluing the top of the to the underside of the wing? This is what I like about modelling- you come upon something that seems so matter of fact, and it ends up a major situation requiring plenty of thought, and in this case, counting on more experienced model builders to tap into their experience. By the way, did I say thank you?

Thank you!
Szyp

Postby Szyp » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:14 am

Thank you- sounds like a good plan.
Szyp

Postby Szyp » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 am

I used small inner diameter clear flexible hose because metal tubing would not go over the gear after the wire had been bent to shape. I ten used the next size hosing, which matched the smaller hose outer diameter, over it, and for the rings I used a small slick of even larger hose. Painted it black. Looks good- nice and even on both sides and all angles, just wondering if someone had a trick attaching the landing gear covers. :idea:
Szyp

Return to General Building Questions