Glue

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Glue

Postby Supercubber95 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:57 pm

A couple new planes are in order (like a Typhoon-ebay here I come!) and I am going to do something different when covering my planes. I am sick of accidentally dripping my 50/50 mix on the tissue I have already got on the plane, and accidentally tearing the tissue becuase it is wet where it sticks to the balsa. :x Now, I made a little frame for expirementing out of balsa, and I put some tissue on with a gluestick. Elmers goes-on-purple-dries-clear stuff. I love the way it sticks great and don't make my tissue all soggy, AND IT DON'T DRIP! I know if you are talking about a glue stick, you mean a "UHU stic", and I am wondering this... Why doesn't Elmers work fine? Does the water dissolve it?
Supercubber95

Postby ADW 123 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:33 pm

i think they will disolve quite easily in water, as elmers usually does. i dont think it sticks as well compared to how much you have to use
ADW 123

Postby Supercubber95 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 pm

I got it misted and shrunk it-it did not dissolve and stuck awesome without the mess of the 50/50. I have a new favorite!!!
Supercubber95

Postby Phugoid » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Some folks love the glue sticks, others hate them. I've never been a huge fan as I think that you seem to have to use alot to make things stick, so in my mind it's heavy and it just doesn't seem that sticky either. BUT some really top builders absolutely swear by them. It's one of those things where you find the method that works bestfor you. I used the dope and thinners method for ages then I tried the 50/50 glue and I've never looked back....

It just goes to show it's worth trying different things every now and again!
Phugoid

Postby jensheydel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Elmers glue sticks are basically the same stuff UHU sells and the people who use the UHU seem to really like it. I use a glue stick from Pro-Office here in Europe, I have tried taking apart stuff I have glued with this and even after a drenching (under the faucet) the glue holds out untill after a serious soaking it finally gave up its grip but by this point the parts glued were ruined as well. I would say use the stick it sticks !!

Cheers, Jens
jensheydel

Postby Supercubber95 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:53 pm

The stuff is AWESOME!!! I missed out on a lot of fun on my first 6 planes! I am now expirementing with spray painting some test pieces...
Supercubber95

Return to General Building Questions