nooby advice

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

nooby advice

Postby yellowlynn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Here's the 81 year old semi-newby needing help. I gave up immediately on the B-25, and got going on a 504 Spitfire. Don't ask me why I didn't see this before because my mind works even slower than my body.

I got the body together, top, bottom, and sides on the formers. That is when I realized no notches for stringers. Do you make your own? Plank it? Or give up and go to the simplest kit you can find? I could have built this with no problem 70 years ago, but---. Any way, what am I supposed to do now?

Lynn
yellowlynn

Postby scigs30 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:23 pm

On the 500 series you are supposed to cut the notches before assembly, oh well this is how we learn. The 500 series comes with a little book on building freeflight models and in my opinion it is pretty good. Now what to do? If it is a static model go ahead and plank it. If you want to fly it, then you can use string to mark the notches. Pin or tape a piece of twine or fishing line to the front former, then stretch back to the rear making sure it is straight. Then mark the locations on the formers where the stringers go. Do one at a time, much easier. There are some folks that always build this way to ensure straight stringers and they can place the stringers where they want them. To cut the notches, just us a small jewelers file or make a notcher. Get a 2-4 inch long piece of bass wood that is 1/16 thick and 1 inch wide. Then strip a piece of 100-180 grit sandpaper to 1/16 inch wide and glue it on the 1/16th side of the basswood. Now all you have to do is sand your notches. You can also draw a line 1/16 up from the sand paper onto the bass wood so you only sand 1/16 deep.
scigs30

Postby jensheydel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Not the end of the world, make a raid on the local hobby shop and have them sell you some fine files, using those you can still add the needed stringer slots. As an alternative I have also used a thin piece of pine with sandpaper glued to a thin edge. When you do the pine trick try to get some pine or similar hardwood that is just as thick as the stringer material use some good wood glue to stick a thin strip of sandpaper (200 grit or so will do fine) to the hard wood. Practice a few times on some spare balsa checking the depth of the cut you make with either the file or the do it yourself hardwood stringer slot cutter :-), when the stringer sits flush in the slot you are spot on. Bit of work but no worries chances are with a bit of practice you will end up making better slots than you could with a knife.

Cheers, Jens
jensheydel

Postby yellowlynn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanx fellas. I've screwed up so many times that I just assumed I had done it again. I believe I still have a chalk line somewhere, and in the deep, deep recesses of my mind, I think I may have seen some of those tiny files in a drawer somewhere.

Can I just say "That looks like a good spot, and do it? Or is there some kind of rule for how many and where.

I don't believe this thing will fly when I get done with it. I've had it for a long time and just thought I would give it a try. It's been a long time, and I'm curious as to whether I can still do it or not.
Thanks again

Lynn
yellowlynn

Postby Squishyp38 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:21 pm

As i've heard others say, you just say "that looks like a good spot" and do it. I like the chalk idea, that sounds like a great idea for the people that do this. Also, as people have told me, you would be surprised at yourself about it not being able to fly.
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby jensheydel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:24 am

What mr. Duckett shows in his nice picture is what I was getting at. If the model is not going to fly just try to add as many as needed to get the contours of the model right. If it is meant to fly ... (even if it does not so what it was worth the effort in trying right?) The same principle but just enough to get the contours so that you can attach the covering. Too many stringers are senseless as the strength of the model is to good extent determined by how well you do the covering.

Cheers, Jens
jensheydel

Postby Szyp » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:48 am

Something I learned here- tape 2 hacksaw blades together- any direction- same or different- and hold the edge of the former right next to where you want the stringer to go, and gently pull- you'll know by feel- and you will get a pretty good notch. It works for me on the B17G I am building; on the laser cut spitfire, the notches are so good the stringers literally click into place. Hope this helps. :idea:
Szyp

Return to General Building Questions