Thank you Mark

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Thank you Mark

Postby scigs30 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:11 am

Remember not too long ago I was complaining about the heavy wood....17-21lb/ft balsa that came with my Laser Cut Nieuport? Well I wrote Guillows asking for replacement wood and the first person told me that the replacement wood would not be any better than what I had. Well for a 50.00 dollar kit this did not sit too well with me so I contacted Mark and 3 days later the replacement wood showed up on my door step. Not one piece is over 8.5 lb/ft. Now that is what I call good quality wood and great customer service from Mark. I don't know why the first person could not help me, but at least Mark came through. I vote for Mark to be the one that selects the balsa that goes into the kits. There is no doubt in my mind I can build this plane stock and it will fly great with rubber power.
scigs30

Postby Squishyp38 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:20 am

I don't have a scale, so I don't know the weight of my wood, And I don't think I want one either, But This DOES seem like some EPIC customer service.
Go Mike!
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby SteveM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:31 am

I would guess that the first CS person was either new or unaware of the needs of the person building for flight and the fact that wood density varies considerably. I can imagine the look my mother would give me if I asked her for an identically shaped piece of wood that was lighter - it's a characteristic that not everyone is aware of.

Glad to hear Guillow's CS is still top notch.
SteveM

Postby ADW 123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:09 pm

is mark who i contact for new wood?
ADW 123

Postby Xanadu » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 pm

As if mark does not have enough to do already.
Xanadu

Postby ADW 123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:03 pm

i usually email the CS that guillows provides the email to on their website. i have requested new wood a couple of times, and it is never as easy as just emailing them, asking for new wood, and then three days later getting new wood at my doorstep. they always say i have to mail in (thats right via pony epress) the bar code from the kit i bought. that means cutting it out, and mailing it in. i said no way. too complicated.
ADW 123

Postby cliffm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 pm

It seems guillow's would be giving away a lot of free wood if all you needed to do was e-mail a request. I really don't think it's too unreasonable to ask for the barcode for verification. A 44 cent stamp can't be that much of a burden. Not trying to ruffle anyones feathers but it does'nt sound unfair to me.
cliffm

Postby ADW 123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm

yes, but there has to be an easier way. each kit has its own serial number and can only be used once or something
ADW 123

Postby Xanadu » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:38 am

Being asked for the bar code to provide proof is NOT unreasonable and is done obviously for a reason. Serial # on the box can easily be taken off one at the store, so all they are asking for is proof you actually purchased/own this kit, and not just wrote one down from the store supply.

You not willing to provide adequate proof, then don't be upset if they do not provide you replacement parts. No business would do that, so why should they. Yes, you may be the most honest person on the face of the earth, but how do they know that? And even then you would understand the proof factor.

It is not hard to do, so asking for "an easier way" is off base in this instance.
You would probably be amazed as to how many requests Guillow's must get every year for "free" replacement parts and how many of them are bogus.
Xanadu

Postby scigs30 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:08 am

I agree a bar code or receipt is reasonable. I guess Guillows knows me since I send them so many pictures of my completed builds and they use them on their website and catalog. I think it is fair to assume I am a loyal customer so when asking for replacement wood, I am not out to screw them. I get a lot of emails from people who see my builds and it makes them go out and buy a Guillows kit. The problem is after they buy the kit they email me back complaining how bad the wood is. Oh well can't please everyone. I know Guillows is trying to change their image and from what I have seen they are doing a great job. Just remember there is a lot of old stock out there so it is going to take time before each kit has acceptable wood.
scigs30

Return to General Building Questions