Planking advice

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Planking advice

Postby Szyp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:25 pm

I would like to plank my current, and first in 45 tears, project, the 2000 series B17G. I would like to use 1/16, but can anyone tell me how much to bay for this static display model, and steer me to a thread that show how it is done?
Szyp

Postby SteveM » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:05 pm

I don't know of any step-by-step guides or tutorials, but I have seen it done and would imagine it would take a few sheets. Here is an example B-17, but not a lot of discussion on it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st18400058

I've read David Duckett post how he cuts off a large piece the width of the distance between a pair of formers then slices off pieces the width of the gap between the stringers. Since the pieces between any two formers are the same length this saves time compared to trying to cut one at a time.

Also, if you slice with a slight bevel it makes it easier to press lightly into the hole and have it stay put without falling through. Remember to leave some proud to account for the curvature that you'll sand into it. When planked and sanded to shape you can add some wood filler to gaps and low spots and sand again.
SteveM

Postby Szyp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Thank you. I think I have the basic idea, and now I need to try it. Do you have any idea hos to measure how much balsa you will need? Although I am not mathematically challenged, it's better to ask someone who know rather than waste time, money, balsa, energy, and my wife's patience learning the hard way- kind of like ready- fire- aim. I try to avoid that approach as much as I can. Again I thank you and the members for their help- and someday I can share instead of taking all the time. :idea:
Szyp

Postby SteveM » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:07 pm

I stand corrected, true planking is as shown above. There is also "sheeting" whereby one covers the frame with 1/32" thick pieces of balsa sheet, but for display purposes use whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Turns out the post I was thinking of was actually made by Moostang: http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/image_d ... &offset=36

To estimate the wood you need just rough calculate the area to be planked then add some extra. So for the B-17 measure the fuselage diameter at the nose and multiply that by the length. Yes, the fuselage tapers as you go aft, but that will give a little extra. Then go buy about 1.5x of what you calculated since there will be waste and errors made.

Don't worry about the wood used, a few mistakes will still only cost a $2-3 for a new sheet and you're bound to make some so buy extra. If you wind up with a few extra sheets you didn't need then explain to your wife that you need to build another kit to use up the extra.
SteveM

Postby Squishyp38 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:26 pm

What is that, David?
looks kind'a like a whale to me!
Probably just the angle......
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Szyp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulness. I think I am going to try it, and I especially like the problem of too much balsa so I have to use it up on another kit, maybe a 2000 series P38? 8)
Szyp

Return to General Building Questions