UHU glue?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

UHU glue?

Postby Szyp » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 am

I saw a YouTube video made by a French guy who used UHU glue to adhere the tissue/silk span. He lightly mister the paper, applied glue to all surfaces that would come into contact with the paper, and applied the paper, smoothing it and tightening it as he went. He then wet the tissue to promote the shrinkage and tightening he wanted. Looked like it made sense to me, but has anyone here ever tried this technique? I remember using dope on all contact surfaces, and when it dried then spraying it for shrinkage. Back then there was no concern about breathing dope fumes- how times have changed. I am open to suggestion as I re-learn how to build a nice balsa model. Thanks for reading this. :?:
Szyp

Postby SteveM » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:46 am

I've used the purple UHU glue stick method with very good results, but I applied the tissue dry and then sprayed it with water to shrink it.

I don't care for the kits that this company sells, but these covering tips are quite good:
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/seamless.htm
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/Notes_on_tissuing.pdf
SteveM

Postby Szyp » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:47 am

Thank you!
Szyp

Postby joecrouse » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:03 pm

I sand then seal the wood (then sand again to remove fuzz) then use a basic Purple Elmers Glue stick and use a foam brush to soak the paper thoroughly (both sides) then put the paper on wet pulling tight as i lay down the paper making sure to put the seams in less obvious places.
I managed to get a ME 109 done all in black with just 6 pieces (2 were Patches where the paper just didnt sit right and I cut away the bad part and re did it with a nicely patched in spots on the back top of the fuselage behind the cockpit and one by the tail. the 3rd patch was where I um... put a finger through while holding the plane (not my fault I blame the 100 pound black lab mix breed mutt that decided my lap was in the way of where she wanted to sit)
joecrouse

Return to General Building Questions