Washout questions

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Washout questions

Postby jpuke » Mon May 16, 2011 5:43 am

I'm new to the concept of adding washout to my wingtips and I'm wondering how to do it best.

Do you add the washout when constructing a wing or is it only done when covering?

I was thinking of putting a nickel under the TE tip of the wing as I build it on the plans rather than trying my hand at a "controlled warping" when I cover it later.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
jpuke

Postby Xanadu » Mon May 16, 2011 7:14 am

It is able to be done either way. You can have a shim under the wing tip when building it, thereby gluing the assembly together with the washout incorporated. Or you can do the same thing when you cover it.

Most would build it it upon assembly, but with the lighter structures such as Guillow's, you can still give it a washout afterwards using several techniques if required.
Xanadu

Postby ADW 123 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 am

a lot of people add washout at shrinking and dopeing stages after covering. you can see here the jig. all it is is some gypse foam and pins. the pins hold the structure down while it is drying. when dopeing, i add balsa "risers" too keep the doped tissue from touching the foam. you can see that here along with the jig.

you can see the washout shim here. i just use a piece of balsa.
ADW 123

Postby Szyp » Tue May 31, 2011 10:28 am

Although I am 64 years old, and haven't built a model since my youth, I have a lot to learn because things are very different now. Question: What is washout?
Szyp

Postby ADW 123 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:11 pm

64 eehh? im 14, but who said young cant teach the old?

On fixed-wing aircraft, angle of incidence is the angle between the chord line of the wing where the wing is mounted to the fuselage and the longitudinal axis of the fuselage. The angle of incidence is fixed in the design of the aircraft by the mounting of the wing to the fuselage.

essentialy, what i described in those pictures is just changing the angle of incidence at the wing tips. the greater the angle, the more washout. the more washout there is, the less lift that side of the wing generates.

if you want the trim for a turn for rubber FF, you might notice that the rudder alone will cause the plane's wing to dip to the inside of the turn. this can be very bad, and most of the time fatal if the wing hits the ground like that.

adding the some washout on the left wing, and a little more on the right (called differential washout) and some left rudder, will cause the left wing to make more lift. so, when it is going in a turn, the left wing will make more lift than the right. this will prevent the wing from that dip in a turn with just some rudder.

keep in mind this is for a LEFT turn. if you want a right turn, just do the opposite. also know that washout alone, without the rudder input, will cause the setup i described to go right. if you think about it for a minute, that will make sense. hope this helps.
ADW 123

Postby Szyp » Tue May 31, 2011 5:06 pm

Thank you very much. I had built models as a kid, and stopped when I got to High School. I tried the Dauntless, but I never finished it because it was too difficult for me. I will not build for flight based on a memory from my childhood- the guys I hung around with were also into model building, especially combat aircraft- where you try to cut a ribbon on the tail of your opponent-but in this instance one friend had really spent a lot of time, with his Dad's help, building a beautiful balsa model to fly with an engine larger than .049- I don't remember the size anymore- and we all went to the school yard where there was room to fly, he started the engine, the plane took off, and did one big loop nose first into the ground. Horrible, I tell you, horrible. So, I am going to stick to static building. I hope as some of this comes back to me I can contribute to the forum, but right now I am re-learning.
Szyp

Postby ADW 123 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:23 pm

i would incourage you to try flight as well as static. i build for all sorts of stuff, but since its summer, i build more for flight. check out my F4U-4 Corsair build for U control. U control is really quite simple, and i would assume that that thread will answer most of your questions on it.its on the first page... cant miss it. im sure if you read some info along with that you will figure all this newer stuff out quite quickly. really, not much has changed since the older kits, but the ways to do things have. ask lots of questions, and start some threads here with pictures of your builds as you progress. its great to hear from everyone on their opinion on your planes.

great stuff on this forum! stay with it.
ADW 123

Postby Szyp » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:15 am

Thank you again. When I was young, in the late 50's, we found a used book store that had back issues of Flying magazine from 1941-1945. I bought as many as I could- at 20 cents each because of the beautiful photos of WWII aircraft. When I left home to start my career, my mother threw them all out. Boy, do I wish I still had them. We would use Ambroid cement on our balsa models, and dope them all over the place. Since I retired from 40 in education as a history teacher/ professor, I now have time to try again. I have found this forum valuable, informative, and populated by kind people like you. I am waiting for delivery of a Spitfire laser cut to start on, and a B17G 2000 series to challenge me. I will contribute when I have something helpful to say, and of course ask questions, You are a generous person to offer me help and support, and I hope to get to the place where I can give and not just take.
Szyp

Postby Szyp » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:17 am

Thank you again. When I was young, in the late 50's, we found a used book store that had back issues of Flying magazine from 1941-1945. I bought as many as I could- at 20 cents each because of the beautiful photos of WWII aircraft. When I left home to start my career, my mother threw them all out. Boy, do I wish I still had them. We would use Ambroid cement on our balsa models, and dope them all over the place. Since I retired from 40 years in education as a history teacher/ professor, I now have time to try again. I have found this forum valuable, informative, and populated by kind people like you. I am waiting for delivery of a Spitfire laser cut to start on, and a B17G 2000 series to challenge me. I will contribute when I have something helpful to say, and of course ask questions. You are a generous person to offer me help and support, and I hope to get to the place where I can give and not just take.
Szyp

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:24 am

im sorry to hear about those magazines. im sure you can find other great photos of some of these aircraft. especially with all these high tech cameras and such. start up a new thread when you get your planes, and post pictures. if you need help, take a look at this thread-

http://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1969&highlight=post+photoes

even i have learned a lot on this forum. im sure some of the older members who have seen my first posts to now know that, and have seen how much i have improved.
ADW 123

Postby Squishyp38 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 pm

I agree with ADW all the way!
I'll have you know, I am also 14 years old, but am way less experianced than ADW!
My builds have also Improved greatly thanks to this forum.
I posted pictures of my first, horrible planes when I first got to this forum, but all of the kind, loving people of this forum praised me for my good work (and i'm not kidding, it was horrible!) and suggested things to me that really helped. I am still learning from this forum, and will continue to do so until I know everything (Impossible, except if you are scigs, david duckett, or a couple of others) or until I die.
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Return to General Building Questions