Stuka

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby Supercubber95 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:55 am

Too bad they don't have a drooling smiley on here... It wouldn't do it justice, though...
Supercubber95

Postby wmikedavis » Thu May 05, 2011 11:22 am

I am facinated by your skill with the black line detail...especilly on curved and uneven surfaces. What do you use to create this kind of perfection? I have trouble with ink bleeding under straight edges or stiff paper on curved surfaces.....I really enjoy the mechanical portion of making these airplanes but dread the finish painting and details.
wmikedavis

Postby BillParker » Thu May 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Dave, I think you finally gave away the true secret. PLANNING. Making sure you know exactly what and how your going to do before you try it.

You know what? I'm going try it...

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby wmikedavis » Thu May 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks for the tips...I was afraid you were going to say you "free hand" that stuff!
Yesterday I purshased a set of Liquitex Basics (5) 75ml tubes for under $12 at JoAnn Fabric and Craft store, primary colors + black and white. Now I need some good brushes.
wmikedavis

Postby wmikedavis » Thu May 05, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks for the tips...I was afraid you were going to say you "free hand" that stuff!
Yesterday I purshased a set of Liquitex Basics (5) 75ml tubes for under $12 at JoAnn Fabric and Craft store, primary colors + black and white. Now I need some good brushes.
wmikedavis

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Beautiful work as usual David. The inset planking looks great. I sheet many of mine, as WWII metal covered planes just don't look right with the covered spar look.

I just finished this kit, and inset planked the front. I wanted to do all of it, but the tail would have been too heavy for rc. As of yet, it's my smallest rc conversion.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=4057854

Bill Gaylord

Postby Szyp » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Beautiful, beautiful. But that is what for me is all the fun- the planning, thinking how you are going to do the next step. I find it's like playing golf- which I did 4 or 5 times 40 years ago- when I am immersed in building a model, I am immersed. All the other problems, worries,and everyday nonsense melt away because I am not thinking about that, but rather the next step in building the model. I guess we all have our pressure escape valves, and I have rediscovered the joy of building a model slowly, carefully planning each step, thinking how to solve a building problem, reading and re reading the directions, checking and double checking my work, finding something positive to do while waiting for the glue to dry- I guess unless you have ever done this you would not understand, but here I feel I am among companion souls who understand my affectation. This board is a pleasant and enjoyable bonus- and yes- it does help fill the time while the glue dries.
Szyp

Postby BillParker » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:06 pm

BillParker

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks Bill. I have been trying to post pictures from Wattflyer and RCG with no success. One of these days I'll figure it out. :shock:
BTW the little guy is on You Tube now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbSuqM_v ... ideo_title
Bill Gaylord

Postby BillParker » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Good Lord! I've seen slower jets!
BillParker

Postby cliffm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Man, I think I'm getting old,you need to be wayyyyy on top of something that fast.
cliffm

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks for the comments. Amazingly Cliff it is really a stable, self righting flyer, or I would have crashed it. The Stuka will respond to roll quickly, but at a certain point it naturally resists roll over quite well. You would really have to slam and hold the ailerons, to roll it over.

BillParker wrote:Good Lord! I've seen slower jets!

It does move, and the videos are at 1/2 throttle! My EDF30 jets with 12mm Feigao motors are much slower.

I put up a second video, and the plane flys better than ever now. There's no dipping and correction needed after hand launch. It was actually nose heavy of all things, and a lighter 2s lipo now corrects that while making the plane a few grams lighter, and still has full throttle potential.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions