Guillow Fairchild 24

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillow Fairchild 24

Postby supercruiser » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 pm

By request, here is my well worn Fairchild 24 showing the removable solid nose. Held together by two rare earth magnets and two dowel pins.

And just for fun, is the original nose with the plastic cowl.

By the way, I just want say for those that don't want to fly their models because they don't want all that hard work destroyed on the first flight.
This particular model has been around for 6 years and has flown many times. Still has it's original structure,all kit wood. The tissue has been completely replaced twice. The worst wear and tear it has gotten is from being stored out in the barn. So folks, I suggest building and flying at least one of these kits. Lots of fun and educational.
supercruiser

Postby Seeker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:24 am

Thanks for that!
Seeker

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:42 pm

I decided that opposing rare earth magnets were overkill. Now I use a magnet on one side and a thin piece of steel on the other side. a small piece cut from the flat center of a steel cat food can lid works and a piece of a discarded razor blade is also very good. Usually, I have the magnet in the removable cowl and the sheet steel opposing it super glued to the front former of the model. A little sanding in the right place is enough to get the thin steel let into the former so it is flush with the surface.

I don't know if this saves much weight, but it works and I have more magnets to go around. I even do this with removable wings where the three-pound pull of the opposing magnets is not required to keep things together.
kittyfritters

Return to General Building Questions