Guillow Hurricane

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillow Hurricane

Postby supercruiser » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Here is my Hurricane. Weighs 21 grams as pictured. Built with the kit wood.
I'm experimenting with covering techniques. The dent in the tissue behind the canopy has been rectified. According to the receipt in the box, I bought this kit in 1994. The decals are brittle from age, as you can see I had some difficulty.
This is also my first attempt to post a picture. I'm following ADW's tutorial. I grew up before remote control TV's and VCRs, so let's see if an old dog can learn new tricks.

supercruiser

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 pm

looks good. see there on the LE of the left wing? where the brown is. that wrinkle got there just because it wasnt sanded down all the way. looks good! in fact, most of the wrinkles on the LE areas on that plane are only because of sanding inperfections.
ADW 123

Postby supercruiser » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 pm

You are correct about the wrinkles at the L.E. I didn't blend the ribs very well. I was mainly interested in trying out the two tone camouflage scheme.
That's two different colors of tissue, not paint. Didn't turn out that well. I didn't want to use paint or colored dope to keep it lightweight. I sealed the tissue and decals with matte finish acrylic spray. Takes the gloss away from the decals which is what I wanted. We'll see how it flies.
By the way, the canopy was long since gone. So I called Guillow Customer Service, ordered a canopy and a few things for some other models I have and a few days later the parts show up in the mail. Nice. :)
supercruiser

Return to General Building Questions