Warping Issues

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Warping Issues

Postby Supercubber95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 am

I figured I better stop pirating ADW's thread :D . I flew my Mustang this morning and it didn't go well. Vertical banked to the left. Landed kinda hard on its nose, but I can fix it okay. I got to looking at it and the right wing is warped :evil:. I used walmart tissue and shrunk with water :oops: so can I steam it somehow or will that make it shrink more? Maybe I should just take the wing off and re-tissue it? Any idears?
Supercubber95

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 am

for one i dont mind too much about people getting a little off topic on my thread. im pretty easy going there, although some people dont like it.

since i assume you have not sealed it yet, you can try re shrinking BOTH SIDES of the wing. then before the water drys just stick it back into the jig (this should be easy as the mustang's wing is quite simple to get at). i know you made the gear removeable, so even more so in your favor. lets say that your wing is bending upwards (it might not be the case but use logic to reverse what ill tell you ) when you re shrink the tissue, i would put a little more water on the bottom here to make it shrink the other way more. follow? make sure you pin it down really well. im not sure if you added washout or not... if you did you should put your washout shim in place when shrinking...

it will look like that except the wing fuse will hang off the edge and maybe a little of the wing, but that is no problem. make sure when you shrink it initialy, you must make sure to spray the mist evently over both sides, other wise too much water might shrink one side more than the other.
ADW 123

Postby Supercubber95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:33 am

10-4! Thanks! Yeah, it bent up. I have never used dope, so sealing is not a problem. Nope, no washout... Whats that do?
Supercubber95

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:37 am

it basically makes it so one wing makes more lift than the other. if you try to turn a model in flight with just rudder, it makes the inside wing dip in, which is not good. it will break off on landing.

here is the wing in the jig. see the little shim on the last rib on the very back???
ADW 123

Postby Supercubber95 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:08 pm

I see. My other models always turned although I did nothing with the rudder... Hmmm... Torque? I'm finding my pinning board again and will re-warp the wing this afternoon. Wish I new more about modeling-only been at it for a year.
Supercubber95

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:22 pm

ok. for one, get some bannana oil or some kind of dope. you can thank me later. so for those small planes i would add 1/32" to the left wing, and then 1/16" on the right wing. this will make it want to turn right. so you add a tab to the rudder bent to the left, and this will even it out for a left turn. if you want a right turn, reverse the above.

check out my super piper cub thread-

http://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1827&highlight=super+piper+cub

and phugoids-

http://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1748&highlight=super+piper+cub

phugoid is the real master though. so read it all.
ADW 123

Return to General Building Questions