900 Series Mustang

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

900 Series Mustang

Postby ADW 123 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm

just started her today. i will say that i love that the notches dont come pre cut. they are way better when they arent. i cant believe the accuracy of the parts. this kit has cirtainly changed since the last time i built it (about three or four years ago). in fact, this plane was the first plane that i actually finished the frames and stuck it together. i didnt cover it though.

i remember one night i put it on my night stand before bed, and it somehow fell of in the middle of the night. i ended up waking up and steping on it, and had a heck of a time fixing the wing on that. a

the only thing i can complain about is how terrable the stringers on it (1/16"). they are so heavy and dense ill just use different ones. i dont think guillows would replace them.

i was thinking rubber FF on this one. i think it will be a nice flyer, and a good challenge. i was also thinking gray easy built tissut lite.

fuse parts cut out and ready to go-

all the other parts have been bagged. i think you can see the stringers there. you can tell how bad they are. esp. for a model this fragile. all the other parts were nice, and the die cuts were lovely.

nice plans on this. they have changed since i last built them, so hats off to guillows for some updates...

fuse beggining to take shape.

i really try to keep a close eye on it to make sure its nice and straight. i like to use rubber bands to hold it steady while glue drys. you can minipulate the way the fuse bends by angling the rubber band towards one end of the fuse rather than the other side, thus creating a diagonal in the rubber band. works well for me.

here, i show the fuse parts. the last time, i did not do such a great job cutting out all of the notches. i have gotten better...

ADW 123

Postby Supercubber95 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Wow! That one was my last build. Awesome fun to build and it flies excellent-even though I flew it with only 200 winds :oops: did'nt know better yet. I love it's flashy looks-I did mine sky blue wins with a gray fuselage and yellow nose. Looks good ADW!
Supercubber95

Postby ADW 123 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:30 pm

thanks suppercubber. hope you stick around for this one. it'll be fun.

i know i will probably omit the landing gear on this one. but the question is, should a tail gear, tail gear doors, and whatever those big pieces that go under the fuse be omited? i always have trouble of letting go of detail for static models. i think this one would be more fun for flight. the bigger ones are more for U/C and Static display for me.
ADW 123

Postby Supercubber95 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:33 pm

I put my tail gear on but left the doors off because I thought I'd break them off on a landing sometime anyhow. The front gear just slides in between two formers so I never glued it in. I fly it with it off and display it with it slid in. It's pretty handy.
Supercubber95

Postby supercruiser » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:38 pm

What kind of notching method do you use?
x-acto?

I use a homemade sanding notcher.
supercruiser

Postby Supercubber95 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:39 pm

I use a razor blade. I usally manage to break one or two though.
Supercubber95

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 pm

if you were talking to me supercruiser, i use the x-acto method. i copy the part page from the plans so i dont cut up the plans. then i just set the parts right on the copys. i use the tip of the blade, and i first make cuts completely through, so that the cuts are going straight down into the former. i cut them a little skiney, and a little deep. then i turn the blade so it is perfectly on the tip of the blad. i then make the cut (which is usually with the grain) and get it to fall completly out. never force it out, and never make your cuts too large. if a cut goes to far to the left or right of a notch, it could weaken the part there, resulting in a piece falling off. this is never fun, so i play it safe.
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:44 pm

i use the x-acto method. i copy the part page from the plans so i dont cut up the plans. then i just set the parts right on the copys. i use the tip of the blade, and i first make cuts completely through, so that the cuts are going straight down into the former. i cut them a little skiney, and a little deep. then i turn the blade so it is perfectly on the tip of the blad. i then make the cut (which is usually with the grain) and get it to fall completly out. never force it out, and never make your cuts too large. if a cut goes to far to the left or right of a notch, it could weaken the part there, resulting in a piece falling off. this is never fun, so i play it safe.

You see, when one is young, and death is a long and unimaginably distant concept...

I use a band saw...

:lol:
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm

wish i had myself one of those...

dont really think mom would let me near one of those things...
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:59 pm

it's no more dangerous than that twisty knob on your .049...
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm

i dont think she really knows how dangerous my Tee Dee really is, or maybe she just doesnt want to think about it. im largly allowed to operate the glow engines as i please. i think they are fun.

i think she would also get upset with the noise that the saw might make. my new model room is quite literally right under my parent's room!
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:12 pm

new model room?

new model room?

speechless!

:lol:
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:19 pm

fluorescent ceiling lights, and one of those suck fans than just sucks the fumes out and puts em outside. plus more table space/organizers. gunna be lots of fun. but the best feature... a door!
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:23 pm

good lord! How many square feet?
BillParker

Postby Phugoid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:26 pm

ADW you are a building machine!

I use a needle file to cut notches, it just happens to be the right clearance for 1/16" stringers....

We are talking a real cheep tool here £1 or so...
Phugoid

Next

Return to General Building Questions