Guillows P39 airacobra series 800

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows P39 airacobra series 800

Postby deckape » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Ahoy
i am new here and decided to do a build thread. this will be my first kit build in 39 years. I been building far to many scratch builds then building kits mainly the cost of them now days. to me if i want to build something and dont have the money to buy the kit I pull out a set of plans and go from there. Here is my P39 I will post build updates as i go.

Image Thank you franklyn day AKA Boats
Turn Two Continue Ships Work
deckape

Re: Guillows P39 airacobra series 800

Postby deckape » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:45 pm

deckape wrote:Ahoy
i am new here and decided to do a build thread. this will be my first kit build in 39 years. I been building far to many scratch builds then building kits mainly the cost of them now days. to me if i want to build something and dont have the money to buy the kit I pull out a set of plans and go from there. Here is my P39 I will post build updates as i go.

Image ThankImage you franklyn day AKA Boats

here is a scratch build Grumman gulfhawk G22 model I built this 55 years ago from Cleveland models
deckape

cockpit intereirs and basic frame assemly

Postby deckape » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Ahoy
here is an update pictures of the P39 build, I have the intire fuselodge assembly finished. after sanding down the fuselodge frame work I gave it 9 coats of clear Areo gloss dope sanding in between coats to make certain that the pours are filled. the kit gives the traditional carstock cockpit intereir that is very bland It wasn,t designed for the perfectionist. useing the kits cardstock cockpit interier I scuddeled the instrument panel and m,ade my own useing Bells airacobra drawings. I made a complete interier, i built the poilots seat with straps these details were made from paper, I gave the cockpit interier a wash of Chromate green. former 3a is wrong where the instrument panel is located but it still serves a former reinforcement for the stringers. Tommorow I will add more details to the fuselodge, I will not fill in between the stringers with soft balsa I will cover the model with tissue the kit will be built straight from the box, with panel line details inked in with india ink hImageere are the pictures.
deckape

Re: cockpit intereirs and basic frame assemly

Postby deckape » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Here is another shot of the cockpit detail
deckape wrote:Ahoy
here is an update pictures of the P39 build, I have the intire fuselodge assembly finished. after sanding down the fuselodge frame work I gave it 9 coats of clear Areo gloss dope sanding in between coats to make certain that the pours are filled. the kit gives the traditional carstock cockpit intereir that is very bland It wasn,t designed for the perfectionist. useing the kits cardstock cockpit interier I scuddeled the instrument panel and m,ade my own useing Bells airacobra drawings. I made a complete interier, i built the poilots seat with straps these details were made from paper, I gave the cockpit interier a wash of Chromate green. former 3a is wrong where the instrument panel is located but it still serves a former reinforcement for the stringers. Tommorow I will add more details to the fuselodge, I will not fill in between the stringers with soft balsa I will cover the model with tissue the kit will be built straight from the box, with panel line details inked in with india ink h[img][img]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n526/dekley/PICT0008-8.jpg[/img]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n526/dekley/PICT0009-5.jpg[/img]ere are the pictures.
deckape

Postby Squishyp38 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:22 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Thats what I call detailed. :D

Will it fly?
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Phugoid » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 am

Ooooh!!! Lovely! Super detail, very very nice, a standard to aspire to.....
Phugoid

Postby Supercubber95 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:56 am

The detail in my Mustang consists of the little plastic instrument panel :twisted:
Supercubber95

Postby cliffm » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 am

Beautiful detail work. Not having seen the plans for this kit I was curious to know if it features a cockpit door that functions or will it be an inked in detail. Your other model looks like it has weathered the years quite well. It was a 40 some year hiatus for me and I'm enjoying the hobby more than ever. Keep up the posts, you have talents we all can appreciate and glean from.
cliffm

Postby deckape » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Ahoy
thank you for your reply i am honered, this is the first balsa kit i built in years, been scratching a lot nowdays with the high cost of plastic and wood alike puts a damper on my means of buying any kits. As to this it was gift I am a happy camper and over joyed, Like most kits in this series it is a option in how you want to attack the kit. I am building this one as a display piece, SOB Straight out of the box with the exception of detailing the cockpit. there is no impossibilitys to a kit like this the only limit to it is the builder. I was hopeing it had a finctional door opening I will ink this in as well as the panel lines. Most builders cover thier work with balsa skins. i decided to go ahead and cover my build with tissue. when finished the results will be excelent, I will have more pix updates this evening. thank you again fort your reply.

Franklyn AKA Boats :D :D :D :D
deckape

Nose wheel assembly and installation.

Postby deckape » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 pm

ahoy modlers
thank you for all your replies I am honered to have you fine fellas out here admireing my build. Ok for to day i invested 5 hours on the nose wheel assembly and installation the kit gives you a vacuform nose landing gear strut on the vacuform sheet provided in the kit. I scuddlled this and made my own useing paper and brass tubeing. to the nose wheel strut i added the shock obsorbing siddcors and their blades. I also installed the break lines. the tyre was added too After this assembly I shot on 5 coats of Gray primer. checked and rechecked for any flaws i couldn,t see any so i went on to the struts installation to the fuselodge. I formed the nose wheel wire that fits inside the landing gear tubeing arounbd the plywood mount that fits on fuselodge center secxtion keel part No. A3 I epoxied this unit intoi the fuselodge and let dry, tommorow covering of rthe fuselodge,Image
deckape

Re: Nose wheel assembly and installation.

Postby deckape » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:42 pm

deckape wrote:ahoy modlers
thank you for all your replies I am honered to have you fine fellas out here admireing my build. Ok for to day i invested 5 hours on the nose wheel assembly and installation the kit gives you a vacuform nose landing gear strut on the vacuform sheet provided in the kit. I scuddlled this and made my own useing paper and brass tubeing. to the nose wheel strut i added the shock obsorbing siddcors and their blades. I also installed the break lines. the tyre was added too After this assembly I shot on 5 coats of Gray primer. checked and rechecked for any flaws i couldn,t see any so i went on to the struts installation to the fuselodge. I formed the nose wheel wire that fits inside the landing gear tubeing arounbd the plywood mount that fits on fuselodge center secxtion keel part No. A3 I epoxied this unit intoi the fuselodge and let dry, tommorow covering of rthe fuselodge,Image
deckape

Postby deckape » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:43 pm

deckape wrote:
deckape

Postby deckape » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 pm

deckape wrote:
deckape wrote:
deckape

fuselage assembly

Postby deckape » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Image here are the updates of the Airacobra a lot has been done scince I last been here
deckape

Postby deckape » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:15 pm

deckape

Next

Return to General Building Questions