Giant p-38

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:51 pm

what did you cover you 50" span plane with Bill?

They call it, "Easy Lite Tissue" and it comes with the fairly recent copies of Easy Built Models kits... Oooooops...

http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap66.htm

:twisted:
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Squishyp38 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Okay, so, rubber power is out of the question....

My first thoughts were that I didn't want to continuously spend money on gas for a gas engine, or need to recharge an electric motor every 3 flights.....

Any Ideas for other means of power?

If worst comes to worst, I'll go Gas or electric, but......

Thats my last choice. :?
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:53 pm

perfect building these models first. you can thank me later.
ADW 123

Postby Squishyp38 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Hey, Bill!
I took A look at the plans, And was wondering:

How do I print this thing out on 8"*11" paper?

Heck, How do I print it off at all?!?

I have heard about people taking a flash drive of plans to staples and getting large, full size prints... How do I do That?!?! Do I need to do that?

Sorry, I kind of want the plans now. Badly.
I am taking you guys's advice and building the actual thing first.
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:36 pm

i meant build small scale first. you are still pretty new at this, and getting better with every build. keep at it, but dont overwelm yourself with tasks so large.
ADW 123

Postby Squishyp38 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Oh, I know. I want the full size plans for the comet p-38, not the super huge ones. those come later.
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Squishyp38 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 pm

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:43 pm

have heard about people taking a flash drive of plans to staples and getting large, full size prints... How do I do That?!?! Do I need to do that?

yes.
BillParker

Postby Squishyp38 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Well that was helpful :roll:
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Phugoid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm with "dad" AKA Dave Duckett on this one! :D :lol:
Phugoid

Postby peddlerofpunk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:23 pm

i just recently printed a large scale plan for a dehavilland beaver that ended up being huge. i used microsoft paint to scale the jpeg and print, paint will split an image onto multiple pages in grid format, then you just assemble in order and carefully tape the plan together. i suggest disabling borders for this as i had to trim my pages...
peddlerofpunk

Postby BillParker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:34 pm

like:

BillParker

Re: Giant p-38

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Squishyp38 wrote:So, I was looking at the progress of my p-38, and I said " you know what, that looks small."
Apparently, Big isn't big enough for me. So, Here is what I propose:
A double size p-38 (that would be 80 inches!) using the guillows plan, And all Rubber power.
Just a thought.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Questions?
Death rights?

Personally, I don't have the room to store anything with a wing span larger than 48 inches. I've never built a Guillow's P-38, and I suspect that it would not fly well on rubber power, but the Comet P-38, at 36 inches, flies very well with a few minor modifications that Bill pointed out. The trick is learning how to wind and launch a rubber powered twin. Some very nice flying electric powered Comet P-38's have been flying around Southern California. I think it would make a larger flying model quite easily.

I've never seen the early Guillow's P-38, but I have a Megow dimer XP-38 with a 15 inch wing span. The Megow dimer plans always seemed to me to have too much structure, and I was told by Tony Naccarato that the Megow dimers were actually their 30" span line photo reduced. The Megow model is box construction and I could see it doing well at 30 inch but might be a little light to enlarge further. I'll scan the plans and print wood if anyone is interested.

Good Luck with your enlarging!
kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Squishyp38 wrote:
What is dutch roll?

A "Dutch Roll" is a side to side rocking accompanied by a yawing motion to the side of the low wing when it rocks. The plane looks like it is waddling through the air. The usual causes are too much dihedral with too small a tail or too much wing sweep with too small a tail. Once wing sweep went over 25 degrees with jet designs Dutch Roll became a major design concern. The early F-100s and DC-8s along with many other designs of the late 1940s and the 1950s had problems with it.

When testing prototype rubber powered models I will try to find the optimum flying dihedral. Starting with the 1 inch for every 18 inches of span "rule of thumb" I will reduce it until the model becomes unstable and raise it until I see Dutch Roll to find the dihedral range. Usually, the minimum stable dihedral gives the best flight performance.
kittyfritters

Postby BillParker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:36 pm

I'll scan the plans and print wood if anyone is interested.

yes, please...
BillParker

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions