Question about P-40 (gillows 501) Wing Fairing...

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Question about P-40 (gillows 501) Wing Fairing...

Postby al » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:56 pm

Howdy Folks. This is my first post here. Please excuse any breaches of protocol. Since this forum seems to be a friendly Hang-out of sorts, I'll give you a little background about my model building. You'll learn a little about me and see where I am coming from on my question.

I used to build plastic models of anything I could afford when I was younger. Usually it was battleships, sailboats, cars with an occasional plane...

A couple years ago I bought my spouse a Gillow's Super Cub 95. It looks like the first plane she had flown in. This flight turned her into an airplane junkie. (Her computer desktop is always a picture from airliners.net of the last plane she has flown in.) :-) Well, that Super Cub model kit sat untouched on a shelf for a couple years. A couple months ago I took it down and built it. It was fun, but my spouse would not let me paint it or try to fly it. She's afraid it would crash. :shock:

So, I purchased a p-51, built it, painted it, and flew it. I was going to post a couple of pictures of some of the steps of it, but I happen to be in most of the pictures. I'm sure y'all don;t want to see my ugly mug. 8)

So, not being able to get enough of building, I start on the P-40 (Gillows 501) kit. This looked a tad bit more difficult than the previous two models. There was even a 30ish page instruction manual in the kit. Well, before I started anything, I carried that little manual around and was going to read it when I had some space time. I skimmed some things and left it in my pocket and washed the instruction manual. :?

I went ahead with the build and am pleased with everything so far, I was scratching my head a few times about the dihedral on the wings as it was NOT constructed the same as on the P-51. I got it though and it turned out well. How ever I am now stumped, and my quest for answers led me to this great place.

My question: How in the world does the "Wing Fairing" fit onto the wing? Is it flush with the wing? Is it flush with the fuselage? Is it half and half? :?:

Any advice will be much appreciated.
al

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 am

sorry this isnt a p-40, but the concept is the same.

when the back of the wing fairing comes off the wing and connects to the fuse (hope you can see) underneth the fuse there, you would be able to see the "trench" if you will. there are a couple of pieces in the kit which usually go there, to cover that trench up. i used sanded down even thinner 1/32" balsa sheeting to do that one, but people use all sorts of different things for it.

i usually start with the fairing on the back of the wing. i glue down that bit, and let it dry. if you try to do it all at once, it might not turn out very nicely. then, to for the middle of the wing, then the TE. now, we attach the back of the wing fairing (usually looks a little like the one on my rufe) and stick that on to the fuse. now, just add those balsa pieces that go on the bottom and youve got urself some nice wing fairings.

you can see that balsa bit on the back of the wings here.

hope this answers your question.

Alex
ADW 123

Re: Question about P-40 (gillows 501) Wing Fairing...

Postby supercruiser » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:58 am

al wrote:
A couple years ago I bought my spouse a Gillow's Super Cub 95. It looks like the first plane she had flown in.

If you can't get enough of building, buy another Cub 95 and dress it up like the one she flew in. It's not too hard to make custom markings.
If you have a computer and printer.

al wrote: I skimmed some things and left it in my pocket and washed the instruction manual. :?

:lol:
supercruiser

Postby al » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks ADW, that explains it well enough for me to figure out. Along with the pictures and your "trench" explanation, I have it. :-) Thanks again.
al

Re: Question about P-40 (gillows 501) Wing Fairing...

Postby al » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:14 pm

supercruiser wrote:
al wrote:
A couple years ago I bought my spouse a Gillow's Super Cub 95. It looks like the first plane she had flown in.

If you can't get enough of building, buy another Cub 95 and dress it up like the one she flew in. It's not too hard to make custom markings.
If you have a computer and printer.

al wrote: I skimmed some things and left it in my pocket and washed the instruction manual. :?

:lol:

Good call on making another Super Cub. :-)

And, hopefully this is the last time I wash the instructions. :)
al

Postby ADW 123 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:02 am

i hope you get yourself another one of those booklets, and read through it word for word. its a great help. i think it could use some updates as do many of the plans that are for these kits, but it can give you an idea.
ADW 123

Postby al » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 am

Yes, that booklet is a gem. :-) I'm sure I'll get one with the next model I will do. The last model I built didn't have the booklet. I'll post a picture of my current model later tonight after I finish connecting the flaring.

Until then, below is the p-51 I built. The paint job kinda sucks :(, but when I trim it up, it flies well. :-)

al

Postby ADW 123 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 am

actually that looks pretty good...
ADW 123

Postby cliffm » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 pm

The paint looks good, original and thankfully no d-day stripes. Not that d-day stripes are all that bad but I get tired of seeing them on all the allied ww-2 planes. Nice plane.
cliffm

Postby Squishyp38 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:33 pm

I like the paint job, actually...
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby al » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Thank you for the compliments.!

AWD, Thanks again for the tips, I feel good about the wing fairings. Here is where I am at now.
Fairing:

al

Postby ADW 123 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 pm

nice job on the fairings. if im not flying it, i like to use balsa on them. the paper tends to get a little messed up sometimes when attaching them esp. with white glue. but i assume yours is for flight.
ADW 123

Postby al » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks, yes, I will be trying to fly it. :-) I am not sure when I am going to paint it. I've a busy weekend and school stuff is coming up.

I've never covered anything with Balsa before. Only used tissue. Maybe in the future. :D
al

Postby al » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:02 am

Did some painting on the bottom...
Everything is all taped up.
Water based paints make the paper go all slack. :(
With the Canopy, propeller and placeholder wheels.
Another angle.

When I get time next week, Touch-up, detail painting, decals, and the Toothy grin on the front.
al

Postby ADW 123 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 am

hows the weight on that thing? since you painted it, it looks pretty heavy... maybe im wrong
ADW 123

Next

Return to General Building Questions