Gorilla wood glue

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Gorilla wood glue

Postby StefanJ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:49 pm

My supply of Titebond wood glue (aliphetic resin . . . looks like a butterscotch version of Elmer's) was just about gone, so I looked for a fresh bottle when I visited Harbor Freight yesterday.

It turns out that the ONLY wood glue on their shelves was Gorilla wood glue.

This is not the "standard" Gorilla glue, which is transparent amber stuff. This is a milkier-looking stuff.

It claims water clean-up, but there is not enough information to judge exactly what it is.

Has anyone used the stuff? I'm sure I could find more Titebond at Home Depot.
StefanJ

Postby SteveM » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:59 pm

I've not used the Gorilla brand wood glue, but I doubt it is much different than ordinary Elmer's wood glue. Might as well hold out for Titebond, its normally sold pretty widely and you already know it'll do the job.

Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Weldbond from the local ACE hardware store and am liking it so far.
SteveM

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Gorilla Glue is very different from ordinary wood glue. It is actually a urethane foam glue. It is "kicked off" by moisture and does require at least a little clamping, The excess glue that comes out of the joint dries to foam and is easily sanded off. When set it is totally waterproof. I use it for laminated outlines for wing tips, tails, and other curved pieces, It is a strong allergen and you should use vinyl gloves when working with it.
kittyfritters

Postby SteveM » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Note that he said it was not the "standard" Gorilla glue. The Gorilla glue brand now also includes PVA and CA.
SteveM

Postby StefanJ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Also, "duct" tape!

Yes, this is a seperate product, not classic Gorilla glue.

Ideally, it would be thinnable and not require clamping. But if it isn't a drop-in substitute for Titebond (or other aliphetic resin) so be it.
StefanJ

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:13 pm

OOPS! I should have read it better, and known better, since I used Gorilla Glue CA at the AMA Expo. My Bad!

Yes, they have expanded their product line. I have not used their PVA wood glue yet, but the CA is very good.

Their claim their CA to be impact resistant, (i.e. less brittle) which seems to be borne out by somewhat fewer repairs on modified Skystreaks flying into the walls at the Expo.

They also have a gap-filling, 5 minute epoxy that I have not tried yet.

I still stand by what I said about the Classic Gorilla Glue.
kittyfritters

Postby Xanadu » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Weldbond is an excellent white glue, dries clear, tough!
Xanadu

Return to General Building Questions