Nitrate verses Butyrate

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:43 pm

if one drop of castor oil can be used to stop shrinking over a long time, how much would i need per x amount of volume to make it only shrink a little or not at all if thats possible
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:21 pm

I use Banana oil. This does not shrink at all, or continue to shrink over time. But (as per the Krylon it seems) it will go baggy in humid conditions. I use white glue tinned 50/50 to attach tissue.
Phugoid

Postby PHS Paddy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:15 am

Phugoid wrote:The kit partsare obviously printed with their part ID's. Normally I would send these off on tissue covered surfaces to avoid them showing through. However the parts are already thin and I don't want to risk making them any thinner just to remove the letters and numbers.

I have found the easiest way to get rid of these is to rub them off using a little cellulose thinners on a piece of bathroom tissue.

Now you see it:
now you dont:

I was beginning to think about asking what techniques work on removing those ugly part numbers when ‘bing-go’ Phugoid answered my question.

Thanks for that and thanks for your thread ‘600 Series Piper Super Cub 95’. Started reading through it this morning to get my feet on the ground for start up of the Nieuport project which is scheduled to arrive Monday. :D

Everyone have a great weekend.

Paddy
PHS Paddy

Postby Phugoid » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:39 pm

If the wood is thick enough you can still sand them off, I usually only bother when the numbers are "tissue side". BTW I look forward to seeing your Nieuport build.......
Phugoid

Postby PHS Paddy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Phugoid wrote:If the wood is thick enough you can still sand them off, I usually only bother when the numbers are "tissue side". BTW I look forward to seeing your Nieuport build.......

Phugoid wrote:If the wood is thick enough you can still sand them off, I usually only bother when the numbers are "tissue side". BTW I look forward to seeing your Nieuport build.......

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I’ll put your suggestions to work.

Alright on posting WIP photos. I’ll do that and in hopes I don’t put folks to sleep.

Been in the shop getting the building board down from storage and dusting off. Put a straight edge on it and it looks to be still flat. That’s good after all this time. Dug into some boxes and located pins and some of those small black disks that you put pins through to hold strip wood by pressure only. Fun getting the hanger in order and getting the crew off their bums... :wink:

Paddy :)
PHS Paddy

Nitrate vs butyrate

Postby oldflyer2 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:18 pm

OK, heres the way its done on full size fabric aircraft. Nitrate for adhesive and first coat to shrink it and also to let the butyrate will stick to the fabric. Dope will continue to shrink some for the life of the fabric.I'm pretty sure it would do the same on tissue. :?
oldflyer2

Postby ADW 123 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:43 pm

i add a drop of castor oil (a laxative) to prevent the shrinking over a long period of time from happening.
ADW 123

Postby ADW 123 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:11 pm

well as long as you have the model
ADW 123

Previous

Return to General Building Questions