Masking alternative

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Masking alternative

Postby cliffm » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 am

While rummaging around the house looking for my roll of blue masking tape I came upon a roll of Glad Press&Seal and thought I'd give it a try for masking on the belly of my B-24. As I use Elmer's and water base acrylics I did'nt have to worry about melting the stuff. I just laid out a length of it and razor cut the wavy pattern shown on the plans and stuck it on. It's not overly tacky but works quite well. There were 2 small spots where it bled thru a little but they were very easily touched up. What was really nice about the stuff is it does'nt adhere so excessively as to take any thing with it when it's removed and it left a nice clean line. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
cliffm

Press & seal

Postby Tinkerman74 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 am

Interesting idea Cliff. Did you lay it out on the plan and then razor it out? Did you spray the paint or brush it on?

Thanks, tinkerman
Tinkerman74

Postby cliffm » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 pm

No, I just free-handed the pattern to a close facsimile. After getting an airbrush I refuse to brush anything except small detail work and touch-ups. Once you've used an airbrush it's bye-bye hand brushing,you can't beat the uniform application and the quality of the finish, especially when using water base paints. You can also spray on sealer coats of thinned Elmer's.
cliffm

Return to General Building Questions