Tissue sealing

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Tissue sealing

Postby Squishyp38 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:27 pm

If I am using 50-50 elmers, do I have to seal the tissue? What is sealing anyway?
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby ADW 123 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:58 pm

there are many ways to attach tissue. but with almost if not all you should still seal the tissue after words. some people use banna oil which is noneshrinking. nitrate dope, aerogloss dope just to name a couple. i get my nitrate at a place called dare design and engineering. great company, plus they got lots of other suplys including tissue, rubber, etc. i use nitrate for the larger planes and bannana oil for the smaller guys, so then they wont be warped. works well for me. it is a matter of opinion though. try some out. get some little 4 oz bottles of the differen kinds and see which one you like best. make sure you thin 50/50!
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Been using Butyrate Dope for ... since the 50's... sheeesh!

Butyrate is hot fuel proof so you can fly 1/2a u-control without the tissue falling off mid flight. (an inconvenience...) Thinned 50/50 with pure Acetone from Handy Depot...

I buy SIGSUPERCOAT Butyrate Dope by the quart online, generally 4 quarts at a time as freight is just crippling.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/ProductsV6.html?L+Sig+rzla3485+_Ddp_5fSearch1_02a46PaintSigSuperCDpe_01Search_02Index_01Menu_02CatProd_01Thumb_02Dope_01

specifically:

SIGSD145 SUPERCOAT CLEAR QUART EACH $15.99

50/50 elmers and water does work, but our humidity down here can destroy a project fast, so back to dope, for us...

On the big planes it's cotton muslin fabric, (like an unshrunk bedsheet) shrunk and sealed with 50/50 laquer and laquer thinner...
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Return to General Building Questions