my swing control

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

my swing control

Postby Squishyp38 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Simpleflyer! I have been trying to get your attention for a while! if you are reading this, please read my email I sent you. Anyway, for the rest of you, Here are my swing control contributions.
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Squishyp38 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 pm

What I was trying to tell you, simpleflyer, is that I want plans for that flying wing/tail-less/delta plane, umm,.... this one:
http://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 6&start=30
the stick and tissue one in this post.
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby simpleflyer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:13 am

Nathaniel, I read your PMs re the tailless swing control model. We've been busy with some household chores and haven't had a chance to respond til now. Unfortunately, we don't have plans for the tailless model. It was mostly a scratch bulit model made from the wing panels from an Easy Built F4D Skyray kit, with a vertical tail and lower fuselage and center section infill from scrap balsa.

If you are not in to big of a hurry, I can take some measurements from the model and work up a rough plan of it and get it out to you.

Your swing control models are interesting. The 'ring wing' is especially imaginative.

How is your TBM coming along? We built one a few months ago and fly it via swing control. It flys pretty well.

Al
simpleflyer

Postby Squishyp38 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:59 pm

The TBM is ready to cover, thank you for asking. And no, I am not in too big of a hurry, and even a rough plan would be much and very appreciated.
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Squishyp38 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm

The ring wing is impossibly easy to make. All you do is take any size square peice of paper, and fold the point in towards the center, like this:
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Squishyp38 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Sorry, FOUR folds.
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby simpleflyer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Here are a few pictures of our Guillows TBM. We tried to model this modified version of the TBM that had been used for forest fire control from the airboren tankers. This required some modification of the Guillow's kit.

Also, we wanted to have removeable flying surfaces so that the model would be easy to store and transport. This would require additional mods. First , the tail assembly was constructed so as to be removeable. Pegs were installed at the leading edges of the vertical and horizontal tail at A. Slots were built into the rear fuselage to accept the pegs.

This picture of the TBM being covered shows other mods employed. Balsa infill at the nose and wing mounting area. Rear part of the canopy was merged into the rear fuselage. Leading edgres of the wing were reinforded as well as the center section of the wing. The added reinforcement makes the TBM sturdy enough for the stresses of swing flight. The model has encountered some rough and unexpected arrivals to the ground without damage thus far. Another advantage of the reinforcement at the wing center section allows for a removeable wing that slides into the fuselage and is held in place by a hardwood peg inserted thru the lower fuselage and up thru the wing.

The TBM ready to fly.

TBM in flight.

simpleflyer

Postby Squishyp38 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Awesome! looks great. And speaking of "not in a hurry," that is one of the benefits of modelling: it teaches you patience.
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Squishyp38 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:58 pm

Does the tailless plane have a good glide?
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Squishyp38 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Ah. I see you used titebond for the construction of the avenger. Great glue.
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby simpleflyer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:51 am

The tailless plane has a poor glide and needs to be redesigned. I've sent you a message via the Guillows PM system about it.

On the TBM, I used Elmer's wood glue and it works very well.
simpleflyer

Return to General Building Questions