Covering: Noob question

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Covering: Noob question

Postby Squishyp38 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:45 pm

So, I decided I am going to cover my 500 series avenger with kit tissue and 50-50 elmers. Should I cover it in panels, like the little included booklet says? Or should I cover it in one peice, and if I should, how do I do this without tearing or wrinkling the tissue?
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby H65 Driver » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:07 pm

If you're new to the hobby, I'd definitely recommend covering in small sections. The instruction booklet is a good starting point, but if you search this forum for threads posted by user names phugoid and scigs30 especially, you can learn some great techniques for covering.
H65 Driver

Postby Xanadu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Do it in smaller sections. Using the one larger piece does make things difficult and frustrating, but it can be done. Problem that does happen sometimes is warping when the tissue shrinks as it dries. When used on a larger area, it has more tendency to twist/warp the larger surface.

Besides, doing it smaller sections also teaches you patience (which is always a bonus and will never work against you) :)
Xanadu

Postby lukebozek1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 am

The covering scheme shown on the Guillows plans is for dry covering, where you put the tissue on dry and shrink it after it is attached. If you cover wet, typically you can do larger areas. I try to cover larger areas if there isn't too great a curvature/bend in the surface. As you get more of a tight radius, you will start getting more wrinkles, stress lines yah-ta-yah-ta. I started to fill in the top and bottom of the fuselage with balsa to avoid tissuing these areas and am very happy with the results. Good luck and remember that sanding the frame with fine sandpaper will lead to better results as every tiny burr or piece of glue will pop right up.
lukebozek1

Return to General Building Questions