A little confused on wing construction

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

A little confused on wing construction

Postby Mustang621 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Was hoping for some guidance. I am a little confused on the wing construction for the 400 series P-40. I had to cut the leading edge square balsa to lenght then built half the wing minus the F-2 rib. I did not put any stringers in. I am wondering how to finish it once i build the other half. Do i glue the back end of the wing to the TE and then leave the front half unglued to add the dihedral or do i not glue the middle rib section until i have both wing halves completed? When is the best time to add the stringers? I Know I can't glue them to the points on the plan where it tells me not to but should i at least glue them in on the flat wing where i can prior to adding the dihedral? The plans only make it clear to not glue the LE and spars to the F2 rib but say nothing about the TE which is why I am so confused.
Mustang621

Postby BillParker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 pm

I always build the wing center section first, then the outside panels... Just don't glue anything to F2 (or the leading or trailing at F2) while you build all of it. Put the top stringers on, still not glueing anuthing to either F2's... Then lift and chock the wingtips to whatever height you're shooting for... Scale, freeflight, U-control, you'll notice that they're all three different, now glue your F2's and dry overnight... (ooops forgot about CA glue...) Then unpin it flip it over, and put on the bottom stringers...

follow?

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Mustang621 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks Bill, Yea I think I am following you. I just happened to build the left wing panel first perhaps next I will do the center piece (leaving unglued at F2 rib and put in the spars. I should also leave the back piece of the center part unglued to the wing panel Trailing edge correct?
Mustang621

Postby BillParker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:49 pm

right. the trailing edge is glued to F1 but not to F2 on either sde.

the top stringers for the center section will only be glued to F1 in the middle, but not to F2 on either side...

Virtually all the guillow's warbirds are built this way, some have 2 F1's but still you build it the same. Even the Stuka and the Corsair are virtually the same.... Hummmmm.... but not at F2.... I'm gonna have to look at thiose plans...

Corsair wing: (It's F5 on the Corsair)

The P-40 Wing:

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Return to General Building Questions