Balancing Champ 85

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Balancing Champ 85

Postby granpa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:35 am

I have everything attached and am in the process of balancing the model. It is extremely tail heavy. How much weight is normaly needed for a model of this type? I also made a major error by glueing the nose cone in place. Could I tape the weight on when I test to see if this thing will fly? Thanks
granpa
granpa

Postby yobdab » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:48 pm

I had the same problem and wound up adding a lot of weight to the front which I think isn't right.

I was wondering the same thing and that's why I am on here.
yobdab

Postby ADW 123 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:50 pm

you could use CA debonder if you used CA to put on that canopy, and also i usually put on the clay on the outside and try to stick it on (dont use too much tape otherwise when you put the clay in it might not be enough weight) and after im done trimming you can put it inside the canopy. i would build a removeable noseblock
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:53 pm

I use "blue tak" stuck on the cowel (the stuff used for putting up posters etc, I don't know what you call it in the States) for balancing initially. Then once i'm happy after a few trial flights I weigh it and cut the equivalent in lead, I have some bits of sheet but fishing weights are good too)

Don't worry if you've stuck the cowel on, just roll the lead in 5 minute epoxy, then drop it through the hole in the front, then tip your Champ tail up to keep the weight at the front, wait five minutes and there you go, all balanced and no sight of the weight. Don't forget that the epoxy can weigh a gramme or so, so be sure to factor this into your calculations...

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby scigs30 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:55 pm

I glue my cowlings in place before adding weight. I first add clay to the outside of the cowl and see if that works. Once I get the correct amount of weight, then I take it off the cowl, roll it skinny and stick it inside pressing down with a dowel. This works pretty good.
scigs30

balancing the champ 85

Postby granpa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to take a shot at forming a new cowl out of balsa. If that project turns into a disaster then we'll try the epoxy trick.
granpa
granpa

Return to General Building Questions