Adjustable Nose block

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Adjustable Nose block

Postby yobdab » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 pm

I have been reading about an adjustable nose block. Could someone describe what that is and how best to adjust the thrust line?

I hope you guys aren't tired of me yet! I am starting to build the following kits after they have been in my garage for a couple of years and really want to see them fly:

VOUGHT F4U-4 CORSAIR

F6F-3 HELLCAT
yobdab

Postby supercruiser » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Look at the FW190 build by scigs30 to see a picture of a nose block. Although I don't think his is adjustable. The ones I have seen have a very small screw at the front of the thrust button. Turning the screw one way or the other causes the thrust button to deflect a small amount. It's a trial and error kind of thing. Crank in a little bit of down thrust by turning the screw, wind up the motor and launch. Then make small adjustments with the screw until you get the flight behavior you want. It would take a whole page of writing to explain the process, someone could show you in 2 minutes.
Here is a link to a photo of fixed downthrust shim. The principle is the same
but, to make adjustments you have to glue in different thickness wood.http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/image_d ... 42&offset=
If the link doesn't work look in my hangar at www.virtualaerodrome.com
of my Fairchild 24.
supercruiser

Postby yobdab » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks once again. I have learned a lot in the last couple of days.
yobdab

Return to General Building Questions