Shim underwing when drying tissue?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Shim underwing when drying tissue?

Postby yobdab » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:34 pm

I saw in a post here that someone was using a 1/16 shim underneath the wing. I would assume to add lift...could one of you gentleman explain the technique for me?

Also I read it was a good idea to add an extra 1/4" to the dihedral on Guillow's models...any truth to this?
yobdab

Re: Shim underwing when drying tissue?

Postby yobdab » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:46 pm

yobdab wrote:I saw in a post here that someone was using a 1/16 shim underneath the wing. I would assume to add lift...could one of you gentleman explain the technique for me?

Also I read it was a good idea to add an extra 1/4" to the dihedral on Guillow's models...any truth to this?

I meant underneath wing tip when tissue was drying...sorry
yobdab

Postby yobdab » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 pm

yobdab wrote:
yobdab wrote:I saw in a post here that someone was using a 1/16 shim underneath the wing. I would assume to add lift...could one of you gentleman explain the technique for me?

I meant underneath wing tip when tissue was drying...sorry

Found this article:

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/images/Washout%20_web_.pdf
yobdab

Postby supercruiser » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 pm

This is for washout according to the article you posted. Washout can be helpful for the low wing scale models such as the 900 or 500 series models like the Spitfire, Stuka, possibly the Hurricane and Typhoon. Aircraft with tapered wingtips like the Spitfire are prone to tip stall.

[/quote]Also I read it was a good idea to add an extra 1/4" to the dihedral on Guillow's models...any truth to this?[/quote]

For the Guillow models I have built, the dihedral shown on the plans has always worked for me. I have used less dihedral than called out on the plans and still had a decent flying model. I have heard that some of the low wing models like the 900 series T-28 could benefit by adding more dihedral.
supercruiser

Postby yobdab » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks! That is very helpful!
yobdab

Return to General Building Questions