Painting tissue.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Painting tissue.

Postby Mustang621 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 pm

I am considering picking up an airbrush and was wondering how masking tape performed on the tissue. I use the white glue coating method. Though on my previous model i did not coat the tightened tissue in glue I left it with just the tightening water spray. Was that a mistake? Does the tissue need a coat or two of 50/50 glue/water even after the tightening has been done?

With the masking tape i am worried about it sticking to strongly to the tissue and tearing it off. Is this something that i need to worry about? I think the camo patterns would come out a lot crisper than handpainting if i could use some masking tape cut to trim.

please advise.

thanks
Mustang621

Postby Phugoid » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:29 pm

The raw shrunk tissue needs "doping" to seal it, this can be cellulose dope, PVA mixed with water, Banana oil etc. This seals the tissue and stops it being porous and sagging and bagging with the changes in humidity etc..
Phugoid

Postby ADW 123 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:19 am

i use masking tape (really any kind) and i use water based paints for my airbrush and i got good results... wasnt a problem with riping the tissue, but i did use 3 coats of nitrate dope. thinned of course.
ADW 123

Postby lukebozek1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:07 pm

I typically use three coats of dope/thinner in a 50% ratio and have no problems with taping. I see that some other builders use a Friscit (SP?) material that is sold at Michaels hobby centers. I also use a masking tape that is made for masking and not simply the masking "Tuck" tape. Have you seen teh frog tape commercials? I'm thinking about that since I am brushing, and not spraying.
lukebozek1

Postby ADW 123 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:31 pm

i just use scotch masking tape.... really easy to find... sold in many different thicknesses... and if your looking for a thick one, just get that blue painters tape. i have had good results with that as well
ADW 123

Return to General Building Questions