Glue applicators: what do you use?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Glue applicators: what do you use?

Postby Deadstick Dave » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:44 pm

Aside from working out of glue containers what means are available to apply glue?

Are there specially made syringes for this purpose and where are they available? The objective being neat and convenient application.

Thanks, Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Postby Tinkerman74 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

It may be kinda wasteful but I put a drop of whatever glue I'm using on a small piece of file card (have plenty of those left over and cut them up into small pieces). I use a pointed toothpick to apply it. I use the "don't bring the bottle to the model" theme I learned many years ago. Tooth picks are inexpensive and I have not had much luck using the applicators. Only time I don't do that is when I'm using thin CA or using the Tamiya plastic cement, which comes with a real thin brush.

Tinkerman
Tinkerman74

Postby Deadstick Dave » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Yes, I found those by Testor's at Tower hobbies, They screw on to the tube of cement. 5 @ $1.67. I was look for something suitable for other types of wood glues like Elmer's.

Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Since I use yellow carpenter's glue, TightBond II or Elmer's, I use a MonoJect # 412 syringe. It's meant to be an irrigation syringe, but is available as a precision oiler and glue applicator. A "T" pin in the tip will keep the glue from drying for a month if you are careful to get the air out when you fill it.
kittyfritters

Skewered:

Postby Agnew Airways » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm

I often use bamboo skewers to apply a drop of glue. They are long, don't absorb the glue and when you clip the pointed end, (some are pointed on both ends), you can make the drop of glue any size that works.
If you take life too seriously it goes away!
Agnew Airways

Return to General Building Questions