Plastic Parts

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Plastic Parts

Postby hughwhite » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Can anyone lend a hand regarding cutting plastic parts from the boxed plastic sheets? What is best method, tools, finishing to fit, etc. Painting... how best to mask, or other methods? Driving me nuts. Guillow B-25.
hughwhite

Postby supercruiser » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm

For cutting out the plastic parts, the method I use is cut them from the sheet leaving a generous edge. Place a section of 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. grit side UP. Put the plastic part on the sandpaper and move the part around in a circular motion. Soon the sandpaper will "eat" away the excess plastic edge and you will be left with just the plastic part you want.
Finish up by hand sanding where needed with 320 grit and maybe use some small jeweler's files.
Painting and masking is just like any plastic models. I use Testor's enamel paint.
supercruiser

Postby dbcisco » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:33 am

I lay a single edge razorblade on the flat section of the plastic and, on a flat surface that you won;t minf geting shaved a little (not the top of the kitchen table unles you want your wife chasing you with another rasor blade), then rotate the blade carefully into and around the part to be cut out. This is easier if you cit out each part from the set and leave as much of the flat plastic intact.
Easier to do than explain.
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Return to General Building Questions