Covering the model, tissue out of the kit, silkspsn, or ?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Covering the model, tissue out of the kit, silkspsn, or ?

Postby Tinkerman74 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:23 pm

What are you forum members using to cover your model with these days?
I have been using Silkspan for a number of years. Old habit because I felt that it was stronger. Is there something better that I should know about?
Also My Silkspan has been around for awhile and is wrinkled. Is there some way to "de-wrinkle" it before I try to use it. Right now I'm doing small clips of it and when I'm doing a 1" to 2" chunk a wrinkle can be a real pain.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Tinkerman
Tinkerman74

Postby Deadstick Dave » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Tink:

Silkspan is still very popular on this forum and there are some excellent tuturials on-line.

I say to try using your wrinkled silkspan which has a tenderency wrinkle even when new. Wrinkles usually may be pulled out fairly easily when a mist of water is applied.

Silkspan is light in weight, inexpensive and strong. Once you perfect the technique it is superior, in this application, to Monocote, etc.

Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Postby BillParker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Ha Ha!

I'm an old silkspan guy myself, but just wait til you find out about ESAKI tissue...

http://www.shortysbasement.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=6

On the small planes it's the cat's peejays...

Just sayin'...

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Deadstick Dave » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Bill:

WOW! In colors even! Thanks for the link.

Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Postby lukebozek1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:25 pm

If the silkspan is wrinkled, don't waste your time with it. I had a 1972 kit and I gave it a go, after 38 years of humidity, it gave up the ghost. And yes Bill is dead on, Esaki is nice stuff, but the domestic tissues are pretty decent too. For another source of colored tissue try the Easy Build company. No tissue is as strong as silkspan that's why we used it in the Control line days. I guess that you can still get it, but the tissue works very nicely for static stuff.
lukebozek1

Postby Phugoid » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:57 pm

I agree with Bill, Esaki is great stuff, it's light it shrinks a lot (making even a rough job look good and tight after shrinking). Great for rubber powered models. Having said that there's actually nothing wrong with the tissue in the kit as long as you don't use it wet.....
Phugoid

Postby SteveM » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Well, are you building for display or flight?

If for flight then use colored tissues for minimal weight or light plastic films like SoLite for easy covering and greater durability with a bit more weight. If you're doing something bigger like a B-17 converted to RC then you might want something a little more durable like painted silkspan or Monokote.

If for display then use whatever you find inexpensive, easy, and provides good results. I've seen some great results from those that "plank" their models by filling in the areas between stringers with wood then sanding smooth. After that silkspan is put on while wet so it'll confirm to tight corners. http://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=2441
SteveM

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Phugoid wrote:I agree with Bill, Esaki is great stuff, it's light it shrinks a lot (making even a rough job look good and tight after shrinking). Great for rubber powered models. Having said that there's actually nothing wrong with the tissue in the kit as long as you don't use it wet.....

Not to belabor the point, but this model was covered, wet, with Guillow's kit tissue.

It just takes careful planning and a gentle touch, but you are correct when you say that silkspan, Esaki, and even Easy-Built domestic tissue, are much easier to work wet. My preference is covering with wet tissue and with the exception of some things that had such light structures that they had to be covered with pre-shrunk tissue I have not done a dry covering job since I discovered that Uhu glue stick could be used in wet covering.

I find silkspan the easiest with phenomenal wet strength and "pullability". Esaki works very well, is lighter, and has good "pullability" around curves, but dries rather quickly and has a short working time. (Although I have received the suggestion to keep a spray bottle of water on the bench to use to extend the working time.) Any domestic tissue requires an extremely deft touch to work wet, but sometimes you just have to take advantage of the range of colors available.

Now, I suppose, I will have to do my own tutorial on wet covering....
kittyfritters

Return to General Building Questions