Guillow's balsa quality?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillow's balsa quality?

Postby Deadstick Dave » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 am

I can recall building Guillow's kits from many years back and am now questioning the quality of the balsa in modern day balsa.

When I chose to use Cox .020 or .049 power I frequently hand-selected the stringers at the LHS and I'll possibly follow that option today.

Having not built from balsa in many years, I have no idea of the quality of kit OR LHS balsa. What's the "wisdom" on this matter today?

Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Balsa Quality

Postby Tinkerman74 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi Dave, I found the quality of the balsa about what I remember from when I was a kid. The die cut kits help a great deal. I do substitute basswood for the balsa stringers. I feel that the basswood which is much sturdier. I do that even though I don't fly any of the models.

Cheers, Tinkermaan
Tinkerman74

Postby Phugoid » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:34 pm

The balsa is often dense and heavy. I suspect this is because it die cuts better...?

If you are flying with an engine the weight is no issue so it should be fine. If you build for rubber FF then the LHS balsa is often the only route to a floater

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby Deadstick Dave » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:10 pm

I chose the Thomas Morse Scout because I have always been fascinated with LeRhone radials. (Not rotaries as some would say) Further the Scout was the most popular Allied plane on The Western Front.

I see that Williams Bros. offer scale LeRhrone mock-ups but not in the correct scale for the "Tommy"; too bad.

I'm considering buy a complete set of 200 series kits just to have them on hand. I'll make that descision when I see the quality of the Scout kit I ordered.

Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Postby scigs30 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm

The wood quality is still hit and miss, more miss than hit. The laser cut series, 200 and now the 400 come with better wood.
scigs30

Return to General Building Questions