Back into building Guillow's again

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Back into building Guillow's again

Postby Deadstick Dave » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 pm

I'd like my grandsons to learn aviation through building Guillow's kits as I once did some 50 years ago.

Today I fly "foamie" R/C EP but hanker to get back to "sticks & paper" once again. Too bad .049 Cox engines have disappeared. My first Guillow's kit was a WWI SE5.

I've been surfin' the 'net to see how things a like silkspanning are done today. Come to find out not much has changed in "old timey" building techniques.

My next Guillow's will proably be another WWI "warbird". Meanwhile I'll "lurk" until I become better acquinted on this forum.

Deadstick Dave
Deadstick Dave

Postby BillParker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:00 pm

My COX Supplier:

An outfit called XENALOOK bought up all the old COX inventory, and designs, and is now selling the whole product line...

see:

http://stores.ebay.ca/XENALOOK/Cox-Engines-/_i.html?_fsub=21108637&_sid=476927475&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The prices are pretty much in line with what the COX stuff was going for in the LHS before it all dissapeared...

enjoy...

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Cox .049 engines

Postby Deadstick Dave » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm

bp:

WOW! I didn't realize there were so many variations! Thanks for the link.

I remember tearing up the C/L circle with a profile P-38 with TWIN "Black Widows".

Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Ordered a Thomas Morse Scout #201 today

Postby Deadstick Dave » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:10 pm

This is the only one of the 200 series that I haven't previously built.

I used to build with Ambroid cement with good result.

What's the prefered cement for Guillow's balsa models today? I used to use a syringe to apply cement. Are they still available for that purpose?

Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Postby cliffm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, it's been one of my favorite forums for a couple of years now. A lot of us are using plain old Elmer's glue,for construction and covering. It takes a little adjustment in drying times compared to dope, but there is no odor to contend with and it's safe around kids, pets, wives and is easy to clean-up with plain old water. Or as the enviro's call it green or eco friendly. Me, it's cheap. I guess plastic to wood and such is to each his own. I like good old Duro,again cheap and available. Every once in a while I stoop to using super-glue or semblances for those unique occasions. Have fun.
cliffm

Postby lukebozek1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:11 pm

I love Ambroid but it's getting harder to find, try the SIGMENT glue from Sig. It smells the same, feels cold on the skin, and is very sandable. Testors makes two wood cements, the brown tube is the quick dry version, again both are good. I like the SIG product because you can get it in a gigantic tube. Not that much has changed since we had the Goldberg Lil Jumpin Bean hooked up with the Cox 049. CA wasn't around, probably a good thing or I might still be glued to my Dad's workbench.
lukebozek1

Re: Ordered a Thomas Morse Scout #201 today

Postby Bargle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Deadstick Dave wrote:I used to build with Ambroid cement with good result.

What's the prefered cement for Guillow's balsa models today? I used to use a syringe to apply cement. Are they still available for that purpose?

Deadstick

My local Hobbytown USA has syringes. I also have a couple that came in those refill 'em yourself printer ink sets.
I recently discovered that the Pacer brand tips sold for sliding over the tip of CA bottles also fit the tubes of Ambroid/Sig-Ment/Duco/527 acetone glues. I plug the end with a medium T-pin.
Bargle

Postby Deadstick Dave » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Bargle:

Good tip! Thanks for sharing.

Deadstick
Deadstick Dave

Sticky issue:

Postby Agnew Airways » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:45 pm

lukebozek1 wrote:I love Ambroid but it's getting harder to find, try the SIGMENT glue from Sig. It smells the same, feels cold on the skin, and is very sandable. Testors makes two wood cements, the brown tube is the quick dry version, again both are good.

Try Great hobbies on the net for Ambroid and Testors. I am extremely allergic to CA glues so I use Elmer's and Gorilla glue and the previous mentioned two from Great Hobbies. Be careful with Gorilla glue; it expands while curing so use very little.
If you take life too seriously it goes away!
Agnew Airways

Return to General Building Questions