Rubberband

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Rubberband

Postby ADW 123 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm

ive been getting into rubber powered flight, and ive got the building/triming whole deal figured out. its just that rubber. yes i use FAI rubber. any advice on lubrication and other stuff would be apreciated. bad the way... i use castor oil to lubricate it.
ADW 123

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:06 pm

I use automotive silicone spray (STP brand) to lube my rubber. I put the rubber loop in a plastic sandwich bag, spray the lube inside, and rub the bag to make sure that the lube gets all over the rubber. The silicone lube will dry, but still lubes the rubber when dry and doesn't get all over the inside of the model. Some modelers use Son-of-a-Gun, and others have used Armor All to successfully lube rubber as well.
kittyfritters

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:07 pm

how many winds are we talking here if i use that stuff?
ADW 123

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 am

Get a copy of the Don Ross book "Rubber Powered Model Airplanes". There is a winding chart on page 91 that gives safe winds per inch of loop. I've used it and it seems quite reliable. No matter how you lube and limit your winds rubber motors don't last forever. You still have to check your motor for chafing and tears after every flight.
kittyfritters

Postby Phugoid » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm

That book is a very good one, I use the tables as a guide too. Having said that there is a considerable variability in rubber, and I often go on "feel", this however it cost me a few blown motors and smashed fuselage's to obtain!

Unless you are going for a best ever competition flight 80% of the winds in the tables in plenty, and as long as the rubber isn't knicked or cut you can use it again and again as it will recover if left to rest for a while. If you use Castor oil, wash out the motor with hand soap and rinse well, dry and seal in a plastic bag, it will then be ready for another flying day.....

How's that Super Cub going?
Phugoid

Postby ADW 123 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Super cub looks great. All done. I've balanced it and added down thrust. It goes in a nice circle but I still need a rubber winder so I can count yow Manu winds I've got faster.
ADW 123

Return to General Building Questions