Question on Short-Kits

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Question on Short-Kits

Postby lukebozek1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:29 am

Does anyone have any experience with the short kit for the Fieseler Storch (Guillow's Series 300 kit) offered by DPCM? Priced at 20 bucks it does not have the plans and probably no plastic cowl, but other than that it is advertised as laser cut parts and pieces.
lukebozek1

Postby dpcmodels » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Hello,
The DPCM / Aerowerkes parts are offered as replacements for damaged or lost originals. They are not full kits. Just the main wooden parts ( no stringers,spars, LE's or plans ).

Intended as a service to the modeling community for those who don't want to invest the time and material or lack the skill to accurately cut out the many rib and former parts even though the pattern is clearly shown on the original plans. All replacement parts are listed as "Generic" and cut on excellent grade balsa.

Please note: Replacement parts are only listed for original kits no longer in production for whatever reason given. The other benefit to using replacement parts is the original ( if you should have one ) will be left intact.

Again, these are not full kits being offered. Just a service provided for parts only. I will be happy to answer any questions or concerns via email : dpcmodels@aol.com

Sincerely,
Dave Cowell
DPCM / Aerowerkes
Born to design & fly
dpcmodels

Postby lukebozek1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Just got this in the mail yesterday. The quality of the wood is perfect by my standards. It is gorgeous and just moved to the top of my list. Thanks for another perfect kit.
lukebozek1

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Post pictures when you finish Luke. The cowl shouldn't be too difficult to sculpt/form from balsa. I got lucky and inherited a vintage kit. It is such a simple design, that still produces a good looking Storch with the correct window framing. I'm considering blowing up the plan and building a 200% version. I converted mine to rc with micro gear, and have got it flying reasonably well on rud/elev, with wing slats. My last flight after a few tweaks was in horrible wind, and I got it down fine. Should be lovely to fly now, in calm conditions, but I haven't had it out since. I need to fly this plane again when the weather get's better.

We'll see if I can post a photo properly, but it has a build thread on Wattflyer.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Bill Gaylord » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:36 pm

I'll get it wrong again :( but maybe at least I can post a functional link.
Since I'm adding another post, I may as well try some different combos.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachm ... 1226464349

[url]
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachm ... 1226464349

[/url]
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachm ... 1226464349[url]

[img]
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachm ... 1226464349 [/img][/url]
Bill Gaylord

Postby cliffm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:41 pm

Bill, go to page 3 and check out "Stearman in progress" thread and there are some very good directions on posting pictures. Even my old synapses were able to follow.
cliffm

Postby lukebozek1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 am

The short kit has the parts and plans to build that cowl from balsa. I was trying to figure how to build formers and even drafted up plans. when I was inking in part numbers I saw what I needed already there it looks great. Only problem is they send me a pdf file for plans and Staples can't seem to get the right scale.
lukebozek1

Postby lukebozek1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:18 am

Nice pictures. I noticed that you have an electric motor so you must have it set up for R/C. Can you provide me with the details on motor size etc. Or can you direct me to a site where i can figure out what I need? Send me an e-mail at lukebozek@yahoo.com and I will forward that pdf file.
lukebozek1

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Cliff, I'll look at that thread.

I hear you Luke. I've had literally 5 times or more that folks have sent me PDF plans that came corrupted, etc. I didn't bother to bug them for a JPEG version. I wish folks would paste all the scanned sheets together in MS Paint and give you a JPEG. It's a bit of work, but I've done it a number of times. Scaling is easy also.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:03 am

Just caught the part about motors.
I believe the Storch has a more costly ELE motor, but my motor of choice for these planes is the HK 10gm outrunner. There's a reason this is their most popular small motor, and is back ordered.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=5358

I used their 5gm outrunner with success in my Guillows Rumpler, but you have to build the tail very light, and install all gear forward, and I mean forward, to avoid ballast, which would defeat the purpose of saving 5 grams.
I like the Castle T-Bird6 ESC, as it is small and the wires are flexible. It is installed in the cowl, right along the motor, to keep forward weight. A bit of a task to secure it and keep it from rubbing on the motor.
Bill Gaylord

Postby dpcmodels » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Only problem is they send me a pdf file for plans and Staples can't seem to get the right scale.

Luke,
Not an uncommon problem with printshops who don't understand the pdf format.

Simply have them print to the PDF image with "NO" scaling. Its that simple. The pdf will auto select the correct paper size.

Often, they try to make the drawing to fit the paper which results in in either to large or to small.

Dave
Born to design & fly
dpcmodels

Return to General Building Questions