Alternative Plane Coverings

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Alternative Plane Coverings

Postby sconno » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:15 am

Good day all,

I have recently rediscovered this hobby and am in the process of finishing a P-40. I have covered it in Balsa wood sheeting instead of tissue etc but i am at a loss as to what i can cover the wood in to achieve a pre-painting fiberglass / metalic finish to the static / non-fly model.

I have tried a PVA solution but no joy. I am awaiting some Hobbylite balsa filler but was wondering if anybody had further suggestions. I did look at an epoxy mix but i have been banned from using it within a 20mtr radius of the house due to fumes etc. All suggestions welcome and thank you in advance.
sconno

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:35 pm

you can use full strength dope.... maybe some primer. i always thought that when it came to the plane having a metalic or shiney finish, it would all be in the paint. im sure there are some metalic paints you can use. i would suggest a gloss color.
ADW 123

Postby Xanadu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Just some cheap spackle should do the trick. The finish depends entirely on the surface under the paint. The smoother the finish, the nicer the paint goes on and looks.
Xanadu

Postby BillParker » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:04 pm

bondo
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby sconno » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks for the responses. I have an enamel spray paint which i am going to try on the internals of the plane. So I will let you know how that goes.

I previously read about Bondo and Spackle. Spackle sounds similar to a substance called polyfiller over here. Its a substance used for filling in cracks in plastered walls. If so, it tends to dry rigid and crack itself. Might be something different though.

I would love to get my hands on some Bondo but i cant find anywhere that will send it to the UK / Ireland. Any suggestions on where i might be able to pick up some?
sconno

Postby BillParker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:05 am

Go to the auto parts store, and buy whatever product y'all use for minor car body repair... (that's what bondo is...)
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Return to General Building Questions