Coke Cans for Covering

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Coke Cans for Covering

Postby majestic47 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:21 am

I saw a youtube video a while ago where a guy uses coke cans to cover a guillows cesna. anybody else ever attempt this? I'm trying it and I think I need a quicker drying glue, but I don't know what to use. aluminium to balsa doesn't like to stick too good. I've tried a wood glue, gorilla glue, krazy glue, and a couple of other "instant drying" glues, and they all suck when it comes to this particular job. if I just hold the metal in place, it takes FOREVER and turns out sloppy, and I can't figure out a good way to clamp the pieces down...

I'm sure the guy that did this has it posted somewhere in his comments, but it's all in spanish. here's the video I'm referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDeBX6Uj ... re=related
majestic47

Postby BillParker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Aluminum can be glued to another piece of metal or a different material with a glue that will keep it secure and not come off once the glue is dry. An epoxy glue for metals or watertight epoxy will bond nonpourous surfaces like aluminum to other surfaces and remain bonded. Epoxy glue contains fumes, so when you work with it, use it outisde on the porch or patio when you glue the aluminum pieces.

Preparing the Aluminum for Gluing

Take the pieces of aluminum and wash the side to be bonded thoroughly with a mild soap and water to remove dirt and oil. Rinse off all of the residue. Dry the pieces of aluminum well with a rag. Take a piece of sandpaper and rub the area that is to be glued to a second surface. The sanded area will help the glue adhere better to the metal. Rinse off all metal dust caused by the sandpaper and dry the aluminum again with a dry rag.

Gluing the Aluminum

Squeeze a few drops of epoxy from the tube onto the aluminum where you sanded it. Set the aluminum against the second surface and hold it in place with masking tape or a workbench clamp. Place a thin block of wood against the aluminum in the clamp to keep it in place as the glue dries. The label on the epxoy will tell you how long it takes for the glue to dry. Once the glue is dry, you can remove the tape or clamp from the aluminum.

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Return to General Building Questions