2010 "G" Challenge Winners

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

2010 "G" Challenge Winners

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi, Everyone!

I've posted pictures of the prizewinners in the 2010 "G" Challenge for 500
series models.
Dave Krinard narrowly flew away with the flying prize, but his FW-190 was closely followed by a Hellcat and a squadron of Zeros. (2010 rules allowed the Rufe to be built as a Zero. Boy! Does it fly!)
Orv Olm got the beauty prize with his FW-190 racer,
David (Scigs30) was second in Appearance
Don Butman was 3rd in Appearance.
The Orv Olm Speed Dash (Shortest time over a 75 foot, straight line course.) was won by Eric Monda's Hurricane, finished as a historically real racer.

I'm glad that I didn't have to judge that appearance prize myself. Everyone that submitted their entries on time did very well.

Next year's "G" Challenge is for 300 series models, including current production, out of production (Curtiss Robin, Fieseler Storch, DeHavilland Puss Moth) and about to be released kits. There will again be three first prizes, flying, appearance, and the Orv Olm Speed Dash. (Should be interesting to see how the 20 to 26 inch span light planes do in the speed dash.)

Keep 'Em Flying!

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby krob » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Amazing!, What were the flight times? Is there some where the info is already posted.
krob

Postby Phugoid » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:25 am

They all look fantastic!

Howard can you remind us all of the rules for this competition?

I have just bought a 300 series kit, and might enter next year.

Thanks

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:32 am

Here are the rules for the 2011 Guillows "G" Challenge

-------------------------------------------
1. Eligibility:

a. The "G" Challenge is open to anyone in the world.

b. There is no entry fee.

c. You must have a Yahoo login ID and join the group Guillows "G"
Challenge.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/guillows_g_challenge/

d. This group and the Challenge were created and are maintained by its
moderator for the enjoyment of Guillow's model enthusiasts and has no
official connection with Paul K. Guillow, Inc.

2. Prizes:

a. There are three first prizes for 2011, Overall Appearance and Flying,
Best Appearance, and the Orv Olm Speed Dash.

b. A Guillow's kit prize will be awarded to each first prize winner

c. You may enter more than one model.

d. All models will be judged for appearance. A model is considered for
the Overall prize simply by posting a flying time for it in the entry database.

3. Eligible models:

a: This challenge is for any Guillow's 300 series, light plane, model including the kits out of production, and any released during the competition.

4. Structure:

a. The model may be built with the kit wood or from the plans with other balsa.

b. 10 extra points will be added to the total flying time of any model built with the kit wood and the plastic parts in the box.

c. A model is considered built with the kit wood if the primary structure, ribs, formers stringers, spars and tip outlines came out of the box and the plastic parts from the kit are used. The kit wood may be lightened by any method.

d. In models built with the kit wood, a structure of non-kit wood can be built under the plastic nose to make the prop bearing more stable and adjustable.

5. Landing Gear:

a. The model must be built and flown with the landing gear.

b. The landing gear may be made to knock off on landing, but it must remain attached in flight.

6. Power:

a. The model must use a two-bladed propeller

b. The prop may be of larger diameter than the prop supplied in the box and may be made of wood or plastic.

c. Any replacement thrust button may be used.

d. The model must be rubber powered.

f. The motor peg may be moved from the kit position.

7. Covering:

a. The model may be covered with tissue or plastic film.

8. Finish:

a. The model may be finished according to the box art and using the supplied decals, OR it may be finished to represent a REAL example of the aircraft modeled.

b. Ten extra appearance points will be awarded to a model finished as a real aircraft IF a photo of the real airplane is posted along with the photos of the completed model. The photo of the real airplane must be clear enough to verify the color scheme and license number. The photo may be from any source, magazine, Internet, taken yourself, etc.

9. Time Limit:

a. The Challenge starts with the posting of these rules.

b. The deadline for finishing the model and posting pictures and flying time is October 31, 2011.

10. Judging:

a: Appearance judging will be on the basis of 100 possible points for appearance.

b. The flying points are awarded on the basis of the best three flights made by the model before the Challenge deadline. The time of each flight is entered in the base and the points per flight are awarded as follows.

20 to 40 seconds.......each second = one point.
41 to 94 seconds.......each second = one half point.
Over 94 seconds...no additional points...bragging rights.

Maximum possible flying points = 199 (3 flight total).

c. The Orv Olm Speed Dash competition is as follows:

This is strictly a racing prize with the models to be trimmed to fly as straight and level as possible over a distance of 75 feet.

Race course will be as follows:
Fly on a fairly calm day or in a sheltered location.
Have a helper/timer establish a sight-line finish line.
From this line measure a distance 75 feet to a starting position.
The timer will sight down the finish line,
shout "Launch" and time to 1/10 sec. when the plane crosses the finish line.

Three consecutive heats will be flown and the three flight times added.

If the model fails to cross the finish line, a score of 15 sec. will be recorded for that flight.

The plane with the lowest time from the added score of the three flights, wins.

Please, feel free to ask either the moderator (Howard) or the originator (Orv) if you have any questions or confusion as to how this portion
of the Challenge is run.

d. The staff at Guillow has kindly volunteered to do the appearance judging from the posted photographs. Their scores are final.

e. When all the appearance point scores have been received by the moderator the results will be posted in a database, 2011 Challenge Results.

11. Posting:

a. An album. 2011 Challenge Entries, will be set up for pictures. Post a 3/4 front view and 3/4 rear view jpeg image of the model, with your name + 1 for the front view and + 2 for the rear view. The image should have at least 720 X 480 resolution with 1024 X 768 desirable. Do not post anything but your entry pictures and a real airplane reference picture if used in the Challenge Entries album. Set up a personal album for other photos.

b. A 2011 Challenge Entry database will be set up for the flight times and short comments about the models.

-----------------------------------------------

Let the Fun begin!

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Phugoid » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks Howard that's great.

I recently complained to Guillows about the weight of wood in the 300 series Kit I bought (see my build thread). I asuume that that if they are nice enough to replace it then this still counts as the the "wood from the box"

And does the "plastic parts" include the prop?

I would really like to try and use the kit as much as possible apart from the prop (which is very silly in 300 series kits).

This will the first competition I've entered so I want to get it right!

Cheers

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 pm

Phugoid wrote:Thanks Howard that's great.

I recently complained to Guillows about the weight of wood in the 300 series Kit I bought (see my build thread). I asuume that that if they are nice enough to replace it then this still counts as the the "wood from the box"

And does the "plastic parts" include the prop?

I would really like to try and use the kit as much as possible apart from the prop (which is very silly in 300 series kits).

This will the first competition I've entered so I want to get it right!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

It's covered in the rules:

6. Power:

a. The model must use a two-bladed propeller

b. The prop may be of larger diameter than the prop supplied in the box and may be made of wood or plastic.

c. Any replacement thrust button may be used.

d. The model must be rubber powered.

f. The motor peg may be moved from the kit position.

The rules are just a set of guidelines for everyone to follow to ensure a reasonably level contest. The intention is for every one, beginner or expert, to be able to compete and have fun, not get lost in rules with a lot of pettifogging details.

Enter and have fun with it.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Phugoid » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:05 pm

I've never heard the word "Pettifogging" before, but I understand what you mean............... nice word!!!!! :D :lol:

Cheers

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby SteveM » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:12 pm

kittyfritters wrote:3. Eligible models:

a: This challenge is for any Guillow's 300 series, light plane, model including the kits out of production, and any released during the competition.
Hint hint.
SteveM

Postby Phugoid » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:24 am

..... I did wonder too!

Ooooh.... New Laser cut kits maybe?
Phugoid

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Phugoid wrote:..... I did wonder too!

Ooooh.... New Laser cut kits maybe?

When you join the "G" Challenge group look in the "Guillow's News" album. Hint, hint...
kittyfritters

Postby Phugoid » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:50 pm

Looks like I'll be building the De Havilland DCH-2 Then! Providing I can get the kit in the UK.

I've a soft spot for De Havilland Aircraft, I went to Hatfield Polytechnic to do my Aero engineering degree, which was formally the De Havilland Technical College in Hatfield, Herfordshire. This was where the De Haviland factory used to be, and a certain Mr. Churchill saw the first British Jet Aircraft fly (the Gloster E-28/39)....

I look forward to getting more news on the new kits....
Phugoid

Return to General Building Questions